Locking folder in Windows XP

Anna

Hello

Is there any option in Windows (XP in my case) To make folder impossible to make changes in it but being able to use it at the same time? I have important folder with a lot of sub folders and applications in them. The applications are used by me and other people on the daily basis and sometimes accidentally changes are made like dragging the folder to another folder when people try to click on them with the mouse, sometime name changed or even deleted. If I could make that folder refuse any change and if I want to do some change then I have to unlock it back to normal, this would be perfect solution for my problem. Do windows offer such an option or would I have to use another software for that?

Anna

The long answer is yes but it's a bit convoluted I think you need to set yourself up with an administrator account and create a user group of limited accounts for other users Click here, then use Access control to limit who can use files Click here .

Not aware of any easier way, you could wait for other input or try posting your question at PCAdvisor windows forum, they have more active members than we do at the moment and maybe somebody will know a simpler way.

Unfortunately, I no longer have an XP system.

Could you perhaps make it a 'Read-only' folder?

Maybe right-click the folder > properties > enter a tick in the box for read-only. (That's how it works on later systems).