Windows 10 Upgrade

johnoo

I am using Windows 8.1 & have yet to accept the Microsoft offer to upgrade to Windows 10.

However looking at the Control Panel today the "Update History" shows that on 3 occasions today my system tried to install "Upgrade to Windows 10" on each occasion it failed.

Question, why did it "hit" the machine when I have not yet accepted the Microsoft offer to install Windows 10?

If your settings are that Windows updates are downloaded automatically - this is what it has done.

When the download is completed (which is almost 3GB in size ) you should receive a message giving you the choice of installing Win 10 now - or leaving it until later.

Cross purposes I think.

I have the icon to "get Windows 10" but as yet I have not accepted this offer.

Yes, the machine is set, via the Control Panel, to " Automatically install updates"

But I would have thought that any updates for Windows 10 would be blocked as they must fail to install as I have not installed Windows 10.

From what you say - your computer is not trying to download Windows 10 updates - but in fact has tried to download Windows 10 upgrade, which has failed 3 times.

I had similar problems. Cured when I navigated to C:/Windows/softwareDistribution/Dowloads and I deleted all the files in the Downloads folder - leaving it empty.

Very good point & I agree, but it does appear to be strange that this is happening as I have yet to action the offer from Microsoft to install Windows 10.

The crazy thing about it is that looking at my Broadband usage figure (I'm with BT), generally I use approximately 0.4Gb/day but yesterdays figure was 3.89 Gb

This does not matter to me as I'm on a "unlimited" usage tariff but for those who are not can expect a lot of extra costs!

I now understand that if you go to the Control Panel/Windows Update you can uninstall KB3035583 which is causing the problem.

The procedure then is to change the settings to "Check for updates but let me decide whether to Download & Install"

Then run "Checking for updates"

KB3035583 will be displayed for installation.

Select KB3035583

Select Hide

Return setting to allow automatic updates

Hope this works because I've just done it!

PS When you want to install Win 10 Unhide updates & install KB3035583

Just to report the above did not work:-

Last night I uninstalled KB3035583.

Checked this morning & it is only there in a hidden condition.

Also the Win 10 icon at the bottom of the screen has gone.

But at 07:39 on the 9th August looking at the Control Panel windows tried to upgrade to Win 10 & failed.

Any ideas why is happening & how to stop?