First Significant Windows 10 Upgrade Due 12th November.

AlanHo

Microsoft are due to release a big upgrade to Windows 10 codenamed "Threshold 2" which is expected to arrive on PC's on 12th November.

It will include changes to the start menu, a revamped messaging app for the Desktop, extra tools for Cortana including a tool to send text messages from your desktop to phones and several changes and additions to the Edge browser.

Microsoft are not the only ones to issue O.S updates - even the venerable Apple issue their fair share.

I concede however - that Microsoft seem less well organised - but they get there at the end.

I happen to be happy with Windows 10 which has proved to be very fast and stable. The problems I have with it are the crappy start menu - which I overcame at the giddy cost of $5 by installing Stardock Start 10 - and the Edge browser which is very very fast but is not compatible with this - and some other forums I belong to.

Having said that - this forum has its problems with IE11 and Firefox - so I am beginning to think it is the outdated coding of the forum's software that has much to do with it.

I agree, Apple does issue updates, but these are not for security purposes every Month like Microsoft. With Apple, you will be lucky to see four per Year. Mainly updates to make existing software run faster or slight alterations to it for easier navigation.

I must admit that the iPad takes some beating. Mainly because of all the apps you can get for it.

I was patiently waiting for a bus yesterday and a yound lad in the bus shelter fired up his iPad and announced it would be another 6 minutes - and he was almost spot on.

I asked him how he worked it out and he looked at me dumbstruck - "didn't I know that West Midlands Transport have an Apple 'App' you can download to see in real time the position of all buses and trains.

I didn't

I have a Windows 8 phone (Lumia) and checked whether I can get a similar App - but I can't. Grrrr