Mussels in Cider with Garlic

-pops-

This is loosely based on Moules marinière.

For one net of mussels (about 1Kg - enough for two people):

half a tin of cider and enough chopped garlic to suit your palate.

Prepare the mussels as normal. Place the cider and garlic in a pan and bring to the boil. Add the mussels, cover the pan and bring back to the boil. The liquid will foam up to the top of the pan (it helps to have a glass lid). Remove from the heat and pour off the liquid (don't throw it away like my father used to do) into another pan with some more chopped garlic and butter to suit and bring to a gentle simmer. Ensure there is no carry-over of grit into the sauce.

Pick over the cooked mussels and discard any that are still closed. Place in serving dishes and pour the sauce over.

The mussels don't need extra salt (there should be enough from the mussel juices) but some pepper may be nice.

Seve with fresh baked crusty bread.

4 hours ago, -pops- said:

Pick over the cooked mussels and discard any that are still closed. Place in serving dishes and pour the sauce over.

The mussels don't need extra salt (there should be enough from the mussel juices) but some pepper may be nice.

Seve with fresh baked crusty bread.

I love this kind of food, but I am always reluctant to eat it when not by the coast.  Delicious laced with garlic.  ? 

1 hour ago, Irene said:

I love this kind of food, but I am always reluctant to eat it when not by the coast.  Delicious laced with garlic.  ? 

I can be on the South Coast within 20 minutes!

4 hours ago, -pops- said:

I can be on the South Coast within 20 minutes!

Lucky you.  I am envious.  

1 hour ago, andsome said:

As long as they open up when cooked, they are fine.

I know, but I can't get over the thought of the consequences if they are not quite as fresh as one does receive on the coast.