Adhesive

Boris

The problem - to cover over/block off the hole left by a no longer required cat flap in a UPVC back door.

I am trying to avoid the expense of buying a new UPVC back door for as long as possible.

PLAN A - DIY quick fix
Use a small 300mm x 200mm sheet of 3mm white acrylic, to stick to the outside of an otherwise excellent white external UPVC door panel to cover the hole.  When stuck on, there must be a waterproof seal where the materials bond, as the door is facing directly into the prevailing weather.
I’m looking at Everbuild “Stick 2” Hard Plastic adhesive ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-stick-hard-Plastic-adhesive/dp/B0012R9Y98

or  Bostik Hard Plastics Clear Adhesive ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bostik-Plastics-Adhesive-Blister-501560/dp/B00R368QSW

Any suggestions as to whether one of these will be adequate to make the seal, or do I need something more exotic ?  

Thanks for any help you can give.

PLAN B - fit a replacement panel
750mm x 750mm replacement panels on Ebay seem to be about £30. (depending on whether you need 20mm, 24mm or 28mm depth).

I’m sure I can cut one to size, but first I need to somehow get the old sealing rubbers off without ripping/splitting them and then try and get the internal beading off to drop the old panel out to measure what depth I need.

It “looks” simple, BUT knowing my luck, the old rubbers will get damaged, and I then won’t be able to find new ones because of the door’s age, so I’ll have a door with the panel rattling around in the frame letting in draughts/water.  Mrs B would definitely never give me any peace.

I used to know a good window fitter, but he moved away, and the local companies only seem interested in selling half a dozen windows or a couple of doors – no small jobs. This is why I thought of trying a more permanent DIY quick fix.  I’ve covered the hole with duct tape for 5 years, and then filled the inside with expanded foam. It works well, but the tape keeps peeling off in the sun/rain after a few months, exposing the inner foam.

If I can find some adhesive that will permanently bond acrylic and UPVC together – it is a much simpler job.

Plan A looks the easier option, I can't offer any advice on the glues in question as I've not used either, but they both seem to function as impact adhesives and neither are suitable as gap fillers, so you'd need to be sure that your cover plate has a clean unobstructed contact surface all around the flap to insure a good seal .

Data acrobat files on glue Type 1, Type 2

There is option C, guaranteed to give andsome the ump, buy new cat and renovate the cat flap.

You may also find the following flowchart useful in future decision making dilemmas vis a vis home maintenance.

h651BD3C8