[RESOLVED] -ATPI

Guest nellie2

Guest nellie2

what does the message on boot up..... 'secondary slave drive ATPI incompatable' mean??

That is my CD rewriter.... is that what could be causing my problems??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grim Reaper

have you set it up as a slave to a HDD??

this generally causes the aforementioned issue.

Set the CD-ROM up on your Secondary IDE channel (your other hard drive ribbon cable) either as a primary, or as a slave to another CD-ROM, Zip Disk, CD R/W, etc. Only slave hard drives to other hard drives.

Guest nellie2

no I have my DVD as master and my CD rewriter as slave on the same cable. Could this be what is causing the slow downs and freeze ups?? It is happening again now and I am in safe mode right now :(

Guest Grim Reaper

the cdrw should be the master although that shouldn't affect functionality.

Are all cables fitted securely as a loose connection could well cause freeze ups and slow downs.

Guest Grim Reaper

cdrw and dvd's don't actually need an 80 pin cable as they only transfer data at 33mbp/s. HDDs require 80 pin cables as they transfer data much quicker thus the need for more pins and cables!

sorry monkey!

Guest nellie2

80 pin?..... it is a flat one like the others and no it isn't a floppy cable. I checked all the connections today all as snug as a bug. I have always had them this way around. It only just happened too by the way. I have rebooted a couple of times tonight and it has been ok

nel it caused problems on my msi board the bios would not accept a old atpi cdrw,I had to junk it as the bios would not load it and windows searched for it,junk it.by the way the msi bios was set to check the IDE drives

Guest Grim Reaper

nell, there are two types of flat ide cables. One is 40 pin and is used for cd/dvd drives and the other is 80 pin and is used for HDD's. They are visibly different in appearance,

40 pin - ide-cables.jpg

80 pin - z_000553idecable80.jpg

Guest Grim Reaper

if i was you i would take each drive out in turn and check which one was possibly causing the problem. It could be that the problem will rectify itself with a deinstall and reinstall of the drives.