[RESOLVED] -ATPI

Guest nellie2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nell, there are two types of flat ide cables.  One is 40 pin and is used for cd/dvd drives and the other is 80 pin and is used for HDD's.  They are visibly different in appearance,

Count 40 pins on each ;)

40 wires on one 80 wires on the other :o

40 - 1 wire to 1 pin

80 - 2 wires to 1 pin

:P

Guest nellie2

sometimes I wonder how I ever managed to put a PC together!!!! Talk about feeling really stupid!!!!

I'm going to Maplins at lunchtime to get a 40 pin cable because I don't seem to have one in my bits cupboard. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this has been my problem all along.... will let you know. :)

Hi Nellie2

Before you go and buy a cable, please read Powerless reply above your last one.

Both types of cable have a 40 pin connector on them.

The type you need is 40 wires going to 40 pins NOT 80 wires going to 40 pins.

But to be honest i don't think that this will solve your problem, as both my DVD & CDRW drive are connected to an 80 wire cable, and they work fine.

But Hey i could be wrong, i hope that it does solve your problem.

Cheers

Tony

Guest Grim Reaper

i totally agree with tony here.......the 40 or 80 pins is not an issue, i just posted the pictures for illustration purposes.

i personally think that there is a cable issue here as the problem is intermitent. have you tried swapping the cables over and seeing the results (ps dont leave the cables swapped as this will slow your hdd's down)

Guest Grim Reaper
Nellie2 - I'm thinking, BIOS upgrade here :(

i hate to disagree but i think that the problem lies elsewhere as the problem doesn't manifest itself at all times.

Nell has a relatively new mobo, it certainly recognises ATAPI devices and simply shows the device as sometimes non atapi.

I am still sure that the problem is either in the cable or in the drive connection itself.

After all, it never showed as non atapi compatible in nells old mobo........

Guest Grim Reaper

i would

1) try the cdrw on its own as a master

2) try a different ide cable

3) if those fail, upgrade the cdrw's firmware

4) if that fails update the bios.

Guest nellie2

My CDrw is about 18 months old... bought over the internet... forget where now but it came in a box. It is Aopen 32x12x48 DVD is about 9 months old... bought as OEM but works fine

Have replaced the cable now.... will just wait and see what happens.

Guest nellie2

Yup that was the first thing I did............... I have unplugged the CDrw now..... the system is ok at the mo but I still don't think it is right.... :(

Guest Grim Reaper
Yup that was the first thing I did............... I have unplugged the CDrw now..... the system is ok at the mo but I still don't think it is right....  :(

you say everything is fine, what happens if you plug the cdrw in with the new cable? Do you still get the error message?

Guest nellie2

well I haven't had the error message today but I was having some serious lag earlier. Nothing conclusive pointing to that though and the system is fine at the mo.... I feel like I am swimming through porridge on this one!! :(

Guest nellie2

I have checked all that... it looks ok to me but then again I could be missing something.... will have another look soon I think and copy a few things down... these manuals aren't all that clear sometimes

Guest nellie2

Dear Everyone

I suddenly had a lightbulb moment today at work........ I ran home to check, had a fiddle about on my motherboard, loaded XP again (cos I put W2K on last night)............. and, it looks like my problems are fixed!!! Well I am keeping everything crossed that they are.

What was it........... :blush: .... well do you remember when I was doing my build and I said that the PC wouldn't boot initially because the jumper for the FSB was set too high......... I reset it but when I checked today I was still ever so slightly overclocked!!! :rolleyes: Whoops!!!! :)

A lesson learned there I think