Royal Mail Door to Door Junk

AlanHo

We used to get a lot of junk unaddressed mail pushed through the letter box by the postman. Such as flyers for take-aways, double glazing, burglar alarms, stair lifts. mobility scooters etc. Some targeting us because we live on a retirement estate.

I had a little moan to our postman one day and he said we could opt out of "Door to Door" deliveries - and that it would do him a favour.  He explained that by law the Royal Mail had to deliver all addressed mail - even the mail was addressed "To the Occupier" but they could not deliver unaddressed mail if I opted out.

So I went onto the internet and did just that - which has significantly reduced the amount of junk we get. I also notified all 15 residents in our road and provided them with a copy of the form for them to sign - the postman is delighted - he now delivers no Door to Door junk in the whole of our road.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/293/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material%3F

This site also provides links for stopping other unaddressed mail which I have registered with.

Every little helps.

One of our friends has gone a step further – not only has she opted out with Royal mail – but any other flyers pushed through the door she returns to the originator in an envelope with no stamp.

I asked the postmen what happens when people do this. He shrugged and said it was only wasting the post office’s time and cost them money.

The sorting office withhold all mail without a stamp and the postman pushes a card through the door of the address to tell them there is unstamped mail awaiting their collection – together with the cost – typically about £1.50.  The problem is that 99% of it is never collected because firms have rumbled the wheeze leaving Royal Mail out of pocket.

I have told our friend and she has stopped doing it.