Open Ports

artist

I just did a scan with SheildsUP

http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

It showed two vunerable ports

1025 - Host - It said that ZA should be able to close this? - So why hasn't it?

and5000 - to do with M/S Plug and Play, apparently.

There's a utility on the site to close PandP - will I notice a difference somewhere if I do.

Artist...

To close Port 5000 use Steves little tool to close it.

Information

Download

You can do it manually:

Start, run, type: services.msc

Click OK.

Find: Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Double click and set it's Startup Type to: Disabled.

Log off or restart to make the change. You won't notice a difference.

For port 1025, In ZA Click Firewall [main] Push the setting to High for Internet Security Zone.

Done the ZA - I've never opened it before! :D

I'll do the little tool now......................

Well now - I pressed the 'disable now' - went back to have a look and it is now 'ENABLED' :huh: :(

Now what - something a little amiss........................

Results with Outpost Firewall

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Outpost is free if you get fed up with ZA.

Results with Outpost Firewall

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Outpost is free if you get fed up with ZA.

I use Outpost as well but still appear to have Port 1025 open :o - I don't know why at the moment !

I thought it might be Ad Muncher ? but no !

SVCHOST.EXE *.*.*.* n/a TCP 0 bytes 0 bytes 30/11/2003 22:48:06 Listening 1025 *.*.*.* 00:21:05 0

So - its something in Services then :unsure:

Better take a look at Black Viper :confused:

Well - here's a funny thing - I couldn't get back on the net last night - 'No connection available', it said.

I vowed war on Freeserve!!

Still no joy this morning. Went back over what I did yesterday - turned the PandP back on .............

I can now connect!

Does that mean that port 5000 will have to stay vunerable?