[resolved]-New icon

andsome

A new icon has suddenly appeared on my desktop. It is 'New Office Document' When I click on it, it is obviously a very useful icon. I swear that it was not there before. Could it have been part of a 'Windows Update'? I use XP Home and Office 2000. I only ask out of curiosity as obviously I will leave it there, I am just puzzled.

It is highly unlikely that it would have been part of a windows update.  Much more likely is that it was there all along (still unlikely!) or that you draged it from the start menu/other location without noticing...or created this shortcut without noticing what you were doing at the time.

I thought about these options, and am positive that it was not there before, I have had the computer since January. I also thought about the possibility of having dragged it from the program list on the start button, but there is still a short cut there for new office document.

surprised you can find anything with all them icons on your desktop,try pinning them to the start menu.

I use them all from time to time, and remember what region to look in to find each one. It saves going to the start button and scrolling down the list each time. Here is the full window.

yeah I use to have some of that norton stuff on only av now,found the norton protected recycle bin a waste of space and does xp really need systemworks,I think not.

I can only think that I must have dragged it from somewhere, as has been suggested, but new office doc is still in the program list accessed from the start button. I think this will remain a mystery. I'm afraid that no one will talk me out of using Norton. It has always been extremely useful ever since I had my first computer, and I will remain a fan until it lets me down, if it ever does.

In addition to the number of items on the desktop here, the "Forest in Autumn" theme does little to aid easy searching, especially when scattered (apparently) at random.

I've remarked elsewhere about my philosophy of "keep it keen, keep it lean". The only items I have on my destop are the ones I use on a daily basis: My Computer, Recycle Bin, IE, Outlook, Netscape, New Office Document, Opera, Mailwasher and Word all on a wallpaper of Windows XP "Crystal". Everything else is accessed from Start and All Programs.

In the physical world ("real" world), I'm quite untidy but there is something about the virtual world inside a computer that induces this Keep Computer Tidy attitude.

While I'm rabbiting on, if anyone is inspired to tidy their desk top, they could also remove all that rubbish they have loaded in their computer. Again I've brought this up before but, as a New Year Resolution, chuck out all those programs you don't use, all those useless files you've got and pictures and stuff you've downloaded thinking they might be useful (but aren't, never have been and never will be). Give your hard drive(s) a New Year present and defrag them. You'll probably hear them sight with relief afterwards when they don't have to scramble about over their whole surface just to find the simplest of files.

Most important of all, and would be an excellent Resolution, will be to do a backup and do one on a regular basis.