RESOLVED - CD Rom drive V DVD drive

andsome

My computer is eleven months old. The CD ROM drive has suddenly gone a little bit dicky. I took the machine back to the shop, and the man who built it agreed that the drive in question does need replacing. I asked about the possibility of paying a little extra for a better quality one. He suggested that the lasers in DVD drives are better quality and I could have a DVD drive fitted for £10 instead of a free replacement CD drive. He is expecting new stock in on Friday, so before I make my mind up I would be interested in members views please. I would have no use for a DVD burner, but if what he says about better quality lasers in DVD readers is true then it sounds OK to me.

Does he mean he will fit it for a tenner but you still have to pay for it ?

The CD ROM drive is under warranty. I can have a replacement supplied and fitted free or a DVD drive supplied and fitted for £10. I suspect that this is a decent deal, but my question is, is a DVD drive laser likely to be superior to a CD laser. The problem with the old drive is that I reads most C.D's but occasionaly has a problem with a CD which can be read by other CD drives.

Well, I've got to say that my DVD reader doesn't like audio CD's. It's well old though, 1998, so they've probably improved since then. Also. I'm vaguely aware of some sort of 'regional' difficulties with DVD drives although I don't know if that would apply to audio CD's.

Thanks for the tip about the Asus. It seems to be extremely good, and as you say it is quiet, certainly quieter than my original CD drive. The problem had been that although it worked perfectly normally, on three occasions in recent weeks it had stuck at about 70 minutes on three separate music Cd's. The Asus runs through like silk. Thanks again.