[RESOLVED] -Checking NVRAM

Tony

Hi all

I built a system for a friend about a month ago.

K7S5A Pro with LAN mobo

AMD Athlon 2000+XP CPU

Maxtor 80Gb Hdd

The system was working fine, although under clocked due to the PC 100 SDRAM that was being used.

On Saturday he bought some DDRAM 133/266 256Mb and after installing it the system booted to the post screen but did not see the CDRW or the CD drives (both on the same IDE channel) and the system went into a loop booting to the same stage all the time, the only way to turn it off was to pull the plug. He said the the fault with the drives was that the IDE cable had been dislodged due to the memory being put in, so he then made sure the the cable was in correctly and switched the system back on.

It was totally dead, nothing, no fans spinning no lights on, just dead.

Now this is how i got the PC yesterday to try and sort out.

On visual inspection all looks fine, so i dug out an old PSU of mine to try it out, this time the fans started and the lights came on, but no video (not knowing the condition of my old PSU) i thought OK we will test it with a new one today.

So i get the new PSU, then connect it up, and all i got was the fans coming on and the lights coming on, that is it again no video.

So i thought that i would try a different CPU, i have an old Duron 750 laying around for testing things out.

Now the system gets to the post screen (with video) but hangs on "Checking NVRAM"

I have Googled for "Checking NVRAM" and all the things i have read seem to point to:

Faulty Memory

mobo Battery (which is new with the mobo)

Clear CMOS

So i put his old SDRam back in and still get the same problem, i have cleared the CMOS by changing the jumper, and i have taken the battery out for 10 mins.

Now when i turn the system on sometimes it still hangs on "Checking NVRAM" and sometimes it hangs just after saying "Checking NVRAM..Update OK"

So does anybody have any idea's ??

Cheers

Tony

I've heard of a similar situation and it turned out (after a lot of denials) that the person concerned had replaced the RAM sticks without powering down, made an error in the position of the sticks and caused a short circuit on the motherboard.

There was no obvious damage anywhere (no burn marks or anything like that) but a new motherboard, new PSU (one of the 3V suplies was wrecked) and replacement RAM was needed to get the machine running again.

Just a thought :(

Thnks for the replys.

I have just unplugged all IDE cables from the mobo and switched it on, and it got passed the Checking NVRAM stage and then said that it can't find any drives, (you know the 4 lines of text it shows you for checking them.)

So reconnected them one by one booting after each one and the system is fine now.

I then put the DDR memory back in and it booted fine, then i put his CPU back in and all is fine.

I did think of taking the cables out, but then thought what difference would it make.

If i would have done it i would not of had to write all this text.

Nellie i would normally have agreed with you on the battery, but as it happend just after he had his hands inside the box i could not see it being that some how :)

He is the type of guy that would hammer the things in if they were to tight :blink:

Cheers all

Tony