networking newbie here

digitaldivide

hello all , i am trying to create a direct cable connection between two pc's that i have.. one a self build has an asus p4p800 mobo with onboard LAN and the other a dell has some d link nic i think . i got myself a cross crimped cable and connected the 2 and thats as far as i have got.. how to i make these 2 see each other ? i have a "local area connection" icon in control panel of both pc's but with a red x and a message under it saying network cable unplugged

i tried running the xp home and networking wizard to no effect (just tried a few settings not sure if they were right) also assigned ip of 192.168.0.1 to the self build and 192.168.0.2 to the dell but they still dont see each other! what else do i have to do ? :unsure:

yep i had my doubts about the cable , but its definitely a crossed cat5 cable. took it back to the vendor and got it checked for connectivity issues as well and it was tested ok

but i still get the network cable unplugged error :(

i think its a problem with the onboard lan on my asus mobo , plan to get a pci nic and test it out to make sure

thanks for all the replies so far and good to see a seperate board for networking which i dont think was there during my last visit

ta

THE most common reason for an unplugged cable is XP struggles with auto settings on different NIC's Look through the NIC settings and set the cards manually to 100base-TX full duplex.

In auto mode it sees 10 as not connected so up pops the error.

Also go into network connections highlight the NIC go to advanced then advanced settings and make sure TCIP is bound to the NIC's.....

Be sure to do a cold reboot after a network failure, power the computers down, wait 30 seconds, and power it back on. That can reset the hardware in a way that a warm reboot can't.

Check in Device Manager. If a yellow exclamation mark shows up, then you have an installation problem. Check for IRQ conflict

Troubleshoot with the below...

1. The network cable really is unplugged.

2. The network cable is defective.

3. It's plugged in, but there's nothing connected to the other end.

4. It's plugged in and connected on both ends, but the device on the other end isn't turned on.

5. The cable is the wrong type. Connecting two computers directly, without a hub, switch, or router, requires a crossover cable. A regular cable won't work.

6. The cable is connected to the uplink port on a hub, switch, or router, instead of a regular port.

7. Some hubs, switches, and routers disable the port next to the uplink port when the uplink port is in use.

8. The network card driver program isn't working right. Download and install the latest XP-compatible driver from the manufacturer's web site.

9. The network card is configured to automatically sense speed and duplex settings but isn't doing it correctly. Set those options manually, as shown here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...networkcard.htm

10. The operating system is turning off the network card to save power. Disable the power saving option in the network card's properties, as shown here, even if you have a different network adapter than mentioned in the article: MSBBN: "A Network Cable Has Been Unplugged" Message Appears at Seemingly Random Intervals http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;811595

11. You're using a phone line network adapter and there isn't a second computer, with a similar adapter, running and connected to the same phone line.

Just explain that will you. You moved the PCMCIA card to a new slot and the network was great on which PC and whats great?

ok that did sound garbled :blush:

ok i m trying to network 2 pc;s both using windows xp home with sp1 installed

this one that i am typing from now has an onboard lan and i am trying to network it to a dell system which has a pci dlink ethernet adaptor

what i tried earlier was shutdown the dell pc and shift the NIC to a different PCI slot and connected the cable etc

then while the dell was booting up i opened the network connections folder on this pc and the local area network showed that it was connected

but once the dell pc finished booting win xp installed and detected the card and after that suddenly both computers showed network cable unplugged again..

so each time i change the pci slot on the dell pc the network works but only until windows finishes booting up

hope that makes sense..