Win98SE Admin user/new user account problem

cerio

Hi.

I created a new user account on my daughter's Pentium3 PC running Win98SE. I now can't get back to the original admin user account. It is now logged on with no name, having deleted the new user account, but it didn't default back to the original admin user account, as I'd expected, so she has no admin rights now.

Each time she dials up to the internet or checks mail, she is having to type in passwords, as it can no longer be set to remember any. Another example of the problem is that she can't change folder options etc.

How do I get it back to the original Administrator User Account that it was at before I created a second profile?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you for the Welcomes and replies.

Erm... I don't know any password. I only know the original login name, as it was visible on the Start menu where it offered 'Log Off' but, as I did not install Windows when I had the machine reformatted, I do not know a password. The shop which reformatted it no longer exists so I can't find out there either.

Actually, now I think about it, I don't know the password for my own PC's administrator's login either. Happily, I haven't created any other users, so I'm still logged in as administrator but I think I need the password to make some setting changes like content advisor (I can't enter some sites, and I mean perfectly ordinary, respectable ones!) but I suspect I need my password to make changes to things like that.

It's not really posed a problem but I really ought to know my password just in case. I certainly wouldn't dare create any other user accounts as I wouldn't know how to get back to my admin one without the password I assume it needs.

Again, it was not I who installed Windows (in this case it's Windows XP Pro, not 98SE like on m daughter's PC) so I didn't set the admin username and password. Is there any way I can find out my own password?

I will test out the solution suggestion given for the Win 98SE problem when I visit my daughter's place next week.

Thanks

Hi,

ok, on my daughter's Win98SE PC I tried the above advice...

Click start, shut down, "close all programs and log on as a different user", then enter the Administrator username and password

when clicking Shut Down on start menu, what it says is...

'what do u want your computer to do...

standby

shutdown

restart

restart in MSDOS mode'

I restarted and it opened as an unnamed user account, not the original admin one, with no way of selecting the original... no name to select and no text field to type original name in.

I created a new account and restarted. On restart it offered only the new account or cancel (choosing cancel logs it on under no name). I selected the new one and a box with the new account name opened, I selected that and a box with the new username and a field for the password opened. It would not let me change the new name to the administrator name.

So, I have been unable to find anywhere it will let me enter the original administrator user account name to even see if it will open without a password (I don't know a password for the original one).

There must be some way to try to log on with the original one but I can't find how, only now as a new user account I create or as no name.

Anyone with any other ideas of how to put in original admin user name?

Thank you.

Hi Nellie,

it's not that I need to log in under a different account, it's that, having done it, I can't get back to the original administrator user account which gives admin rights.

As a new user account, or just cancelling that and logging in with no name, it does not give admin rights, so things like being able to 'remember passwords' are no longer given as options, for example, all email accounts popped through Outlook and the ISP dialup now need passwords typed in every time. It becomes very wearing and it didn't used to be neccessary.

As the original admin user, all passwords were 'remembered', so I'm trying to find out how to log on in the original name but I get no text fields when logging in that allow that, I can only log in unnamed or on a non-admin named user account.

C

I have been having a look around the M$ knowledge base and have a couple of links for you to trawl through... perhaps you can just disable user profiles altogether.... or is it a multi user PC??

User profiles link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...361&Product=w98

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...835&Product=w98

Hi,

thank you. I will go and look at those links.

It's not a multi user PC, the new user account was created to see if would solve another problem. I wondered if the original user account had got messed up somehow, as I could find no other solution. The new user account didn't help. I then found the actual cause of the original problem shortly afterwards and dealt with it (an autopopup folder that IE keeps creating in the C/Windows/Temp file that had stopped IE from working at all).

However, since creating the new profile I haven't been able to get the original one back. The only problem that has actually arisen is that I can't get passwords to be saved, the option to do that for the ISP dialup and the popped email is now greyed out so all have to be typed in each time.

I thought it was because the new user account, and signing in on an unnamed account, did not allow admin privileges but one of the replies here explains to me that that is not the case.

I now just need to work out why saving/remembering passwords is no longer an option.

C