Out of date update

-pops-

Just done a check in Windows Update and it tells me that I need an update to my Advanced Micro Devices processor software released 29 August 2001. In the "supported hardware" it says AMD K7 processor. Note this is the first time I've been told this by Windows update.

There are several issues here.

1. As this update is so old, why wasn't I told about it before? I been using this machine or at least a very similar processor for two years.

2. Do I have an AMD K7 processor? I don't think so. It's an AMD Athlon.

3. 29 August 2001 is prior to the date that the processor I am using was marketed (invented?). Any updates would have come with the device itself, wouldn't they?

Needless to say, I will not be installing this update in the same way I don't install any of the other Windows update except the critical ones affecting the operating system itself. Even then, they are usually only installed after a couple of days so that others can test them out - there have been some disasters even from the great Microsoft. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Have I got this all wrong?? :blink: :blink:

To be honest with you -pops- if your machine is working ok then I would leave it. Have you queried this update with M$?? They may have mistyped the date!

They tell me I need a driver update for my motherboard with regards to my sound but I was tipped off that this particular update messes the sound up.. so I left it. The update is still there though everytime I go into windows update!!!!

Certainly am going to leave it - once bitten etc. I downloaded an update for my Alcatel BB modem from Windows update once. Afterwards everything - yes everything - went at half speed. Never again.

Any updates required for non-Microsoft product are obtained from the manufacturer - after all, the makers know more about their equipment than Bill Gates, despite what he would like you to think :)