yahoo web beacons

Guest ellas

Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going - similar to cookies. If you are at all concerned with people knowing where you go or what you do on yahoo......check it out. Yahoo can track us and see what kind of sites we are looking at!!

Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

Here's how to OPT OUT OF IT,

About half-way down the page, in the section "Outside the Yahoo! Network", you'll see a little "click here" link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping. I strongly recommend that you do this.

Once you have clicked that link, you are opted out. Notice the "Success" message the top the next page. Be careful because on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will *undo** the opt-out. Of course, if you don't mind Yahoo recording every website and every group you visit you should ignore this message.

Thanks for that. I, too, have opted out. I have nothing to hide but I don't want anyone looking at my internet activities. I am fully aware of the idiocy of the snooper services that operate, whether official or otherwise, and they make mistakes - more mistakes than most it seems. This alone makes me very wary of revealing anything to anyone about anything! :angry: :angry:

how did they know who I am??  I didn't have to input my yahoo id.... I just opted out!! :blink:

Good question, I didn't either :unsure:

Note: This opt-out applies to a specific browser rather than a specific user. Therefore you will have to opt-out separately from each computer or browser that you use.

Found this underneath the opt out bit

Does one have to opt-out every time the browser is launched?

Con't think so. I have three Yahoo accounts which I did the opt out to the other day when I first read this. Checked just now and it looks like they're still in the opted out state.