(resolved) i got this email.....

Guest Blink_182_fan

Guest Blink_182_fan

yeah but is there any way of stoppying this becuase people were able to send emails of my broadband addy and broadband were giving off about it and they were going to terminate my account and i dont want this to happen.

If I knew your email address I could have an email in your inbox in 30 seconds that looked as if it had come from you, was addressed to you and if you replied to it would send the reply back to you. The only way you could tell where it had come from would be to look at the message headers and see what the sending IP address was.

There is nowt you can do about that.

yeah but is there any way of stoppying this becuase people were able to send emails of my broadband addy and broadband were giving off about it and they were going to terminate my account and i dont want this to happen.

Blink, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. People will not be able to send emails from your account, but what actually happens is that virus infected machines "spoof" the address they have been sent from. All this means, is that they insert a false address into the from field in an email, in this instance, yours.

I cannot believe that your ISP would threaten to terminate your account for this, as they should be fully aware of the situation, and would be able to determine the originating address for the mail, if they could be bothered.

I must point out though, that there is a sudden flood of emails purporting to be from various ISP's claiming the type of thing you mention above. It then goes on to tell you that the attached file will scan (or similar) your computer for viruses and clean them, in order to stop you sending more.

Well I HOPE you have guessed what's coming. The attachment is yet another virus!!!

If you really are having trouble with your ISP, then PM me with as many relevant details as possible, and I will look into it for you.

Mr. Mouse.

Even as I was typing this thread, I had an example of this come into my Inbox

Dear  user of  Ac.uk,

Your e-mail account will be disabled because of  improper using in next

three days, if you are still wishing to use it,  please, resign your

account  information.

Advanced details can  be  found in attached file.

In order to read the  attach you have to use the following password: 11155.

Cheers,

The Ac.uk team   

Slightly different variation, but you get the gist.

Guest Blink_182_fan

it happened on my old account this address keep sending me spam and saying that i had sent it and i had to change accounts but i didn't think it would happen again.

heres what it says at the top

Sent : 24 March 2004 13:36:21

To : {email address edited out by Nellie2}

Subject : Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

i don't know who the mailer daemon is but it is defiantly the same people who was sending me spam and every time i blocked them they changed there Addy slightly.

Blink, I have to say that this sort of message you are getting really :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: s me off. They are as much a curse as the actual virus containing mails.

What has happened, is that an infected computer has tried to send an infected email to an address on the mailcore.pol.net.uk domain. The mail has spoofed your actual address as the sending address.

Mailer-Daemon, is the software controlling the incoming mail server, which has detected that either the mail is infected, and thus blocked, or that the address it was sent to does not exist. So it generates an automatic reply to the address on the incoming email, YOURS. The problem now, is that you did not send the original mail, so you know nothing about it, and now we start the circular process of people panicking that they have got a virus on their machines.

Personally, I think these automated responses should be banned.

Mr. M.