Out one port in another

tirian

Hello,

I have a Dell PC with thee ethernet cards. I would like to send traffic out one port, through a cross over cable and into another port.

All three net cards have different IP address. Is there a utility that can help me to do this?

When I try to ping one of the ethernet cards, the traffic is all routed internally and it never leaves the box.

Thanks.

~Tirian

You will only be able to connect two computers at anyone time just using a cross over cable. If you want to connect all three then you will need to use a hub and normal CAT-5 cable.

You need to make sure that the two connected computers are in the same workgroup otherwise they won't be able to see each other. They also need to have IP addresses and Subnet masks in the same range.

Make sure you don't have any firewall software running that will stop the traffic.

Post a few more details of your system (OS etc) and what you have tried and no doubt someone will get you sorted.

Hello tirian, and welcome to the Forum.

First off, I should say that I think that Sir Radfordin has slightly misread your post. You actually claim that you are using one computer with three NIC's installed.

I am somewhat intrigued by your question. I can think of very few reasons for doing what you require. It is certainly something that I can look into for you, and ask a few questions from the people I know who may be able to answer this, but I am going to need some more information.

I will need to know what OS you have installed on the machine, the reason you wish to route the traffic this way and any software which may be involved, how you actually have your NIC's setup (protocols, IP addys any sort of subnetting, that sort of thing) and the actual type of NIC's.

My initial thoughts are that you may need to setup a very carefully configured firewall (and I don't mean the freebies such as Zone Alarm or the likes), with strictly controlled ACL's, but this may be off the mark.

Please post back with the info I requested, and I shall see what I can find out for you.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.