Access System BIOS -- Windows ME

Although I have used Drive Image many times without problems something must have changed somehow. Still copies ok to HDD but when trying to copy to CDR I get the error message.

Been to the site and think I need to follow this instruction but for the life of me I cannot find the option to change it.

Access your system's BIOS Setup program and change the "Autodetect" (or "Auto") option for the CD burner to "None."

Can anyone provide step-by-step guide please???

Thanks

Morning Snec. To access your BIOS you will need to restart your machine, and as it comes to life either start tapping the del or f4 keys, depending on your machine (usually del). There is usually a short message telling you which, when the machine first turns on, or check your mobo manual if you have one. Come to think of it, if you don't have a manual, it may be a good idea to go to your mobo manufacturers website and download one.

Now due to vast array of different bios's the next part will be down to you. You will need to navigate around your bios using the keyboard arrow keys. Most bios's will either have a "page" style menu layout, or one similar to device manager where the layout is similar to the "tabs" along the top. In the "page" type, you scroll around the page to a sub menu and press the enter key to access it, in the "tab" type as you move left and right across the top of the screen, the options below will change.

The setup you are looking for is usually in the "standard CMOS setup", but you may need to have a trawl around to find it. The procedure for changing the details will be to highlight the option you are after, then press the enter key and normally make any changes using the + and - keys to scroll through a menu of options. When you have the correct option use the escape key to back out a level.

I would imagine that your cd is probably your primary slave device (you will need to check that) and you may need to go into a menu where you start with the primary master, then secondary master before you get to primary slave. If so, don't change anything for the first choices.

Once you have made the correct adjustment, escape back to the main menu, then you should find an option to "save and exit" select this and enter "y" when asked. The machine will now reboot, et voilĂ  job finis.

Hope you find this useful. Regards, Mr. Mouse.

Wot Oh Mr Mouse,

Thank you sir but I've already been in there. The problem is nowhere can I find any reference at all to the CD drives. I have both CDR and CdRW. Not being able to find them I cannot of course change anything.

Listed is as follows -- CD drives cannot be seen under any of these headings.

Standard CMOS Features, Advanced BIOS Features, Advanced Chipset Features, Integrated Peripherals, Power Management Setup, PnP/PCI Configuration, Frequency Voltage Control

On the right,

Load Failsafe Defaults, Load Optimised Defaults, Set Supervisor Password, Set User Password, Safe And Exit Setup, Exit Without Saving.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards Snec.

Morning both,

Belarc tells me: Micro Star International MS-6340 (VT 8363)

BIOS Award Software International 6.00PG

Only drive info I can find in COMOS is:

First boot device = floppy

2nd ----"--------- = CDROM

3rd ----"--------- = LS/ZIP which I don't have

Boot Other device = Enabled

Swap Floppy device = Disabled

I have cd rom and cd rw.

Should I change the LS/Zip do you think?

The only mention of Auto or Auto Detect I can find is in Bios relating to IDE which shows Primary Master but shows NONE for Primary Slave, Secondary Master, and Secondary Slave.

Thanks for your time thus far -- be back later

Snec

Snec , I would expect to see CDR and CDRW on one of the Ide channels, it looks to me as if it is already set up as Drive Image wants it .

Maybe try changing the primary slave , Secondary master and slave to auto and check that your cd and cdr show up there.

Have been to MSI site to see if they have a manual online for your mobo, can't see one :( yet

Thanks Mark, downloading now.

Daft really this isn't it 'cos I have not changed anything. Indeed I try to steer clear of the CMOS/BIOS gubbings. I can successfully, and frequently do, blow the thing up without delving into that part of the trickery at all. That's why I rely on Drive Image of course.

I first of all went to Powerquest site to find out about this error and there are four pages (!!) of possibles and this was given as the first thing to look at, arghh, and then I can't find the bloomin' thing to change it (if necessary that is). Don't really want to try the other things without eliminating first things first.

Anyway let's see what happens next but I fear for the worst as I have not found any CD drives listed at all. They work ok btw, always have. It seems my CMOS/BIOS etc pages may not be the same as other folks. Pity one cannot take screenshots from there.

REGARDS, Snec