Internet

Scarecrow Man

O.K. here's whats going on. This is not my computer, and I am at work, so bear with me.

When I came to the computer, the internet worked. The user has 'Sympatico High Speed Edition' which is dsl. It uses a regular RJ11 (phone) jack, into a speed stream modem, which in turn sends the data through an RJ45 (ethernet) jack into a router, which sends the data to two computers.

Now, I'm not sure, but with these types of connections, it is required to 'dial' the ISP, though it only takes a few seconds, it is still required. it is not an 'always on' service.

But, heres the catch.

There is two computers. One of them is fairly new and has no problem connecting, but the older computer (both running windows xp) does.

I can do a system restore and I am able to connect to the internet, but after I leave I always get a message from the user saying they cannot get on the internet.

What I was here to do originally is the user had installed windows xp on a ?Pentium2? with 64mb of ram. obviously it didn't work so great so they called me.

What I have done:

Installed 128mb of ram (PC 100 because that's all the motherboard can handle) (worked)

System restore back a few days (worked)

Create a new user and copy documents (worked)

Windows now works.... OK.... but the internet is the main reason they want the computer.

What I haven't done (but probably will):

Create a new connection to the internet (remove the current one and re create it)

re-install LAN drivers (though I don't see a need to)

If anyone has any input AT ALL or would like more information, I'd love to hear from you.

Like I said, this is not my computer, AND I am at work, so any info I give you may not be 100% correct.

Thanks

Don't think there's enough RAM. You probably need 128MB just to get XP to function. Anything else will be too much for it to work reliably, if at all.

I installed 128mb pc100 on top of 64mb pc100 giving me a total of 192mb? so I think it's enough.. at least to run internet and chat.

I think the best solution, is to do as Nellie says, and watch the user recreate the problem. Perhaps then you could post the actual error messages. I assume that if the other pc then makes a connection, that works ok. If so (once the connection has been established) can the problem pc then see the internet?

Even if it cannot see the internet, are you able to ping anything external?

Finally, just to be safe, is the proverbial XP Firewall turned OFF? This damn thing causes so many connection problems, it's not funny.

Mr. M.

but after I leave I always get a message from the user saying they cannot get on the internet.

Are you sure this isn't a user problem?? Perhaps you should stay next time and see what they do to get connected.

Well nellie, and mr mouse, here's the thing.

I don't think it's a user problem, because I had the same problem.. let me see if I can remember exactly what happens...

I turn the computer on, boots normally, and goes straight into the desktop, because there is only one user. I click on the shortcut for the internet connection (I know it works because, 1) I made it and 2) It just should work...) but sometimes what will happen is it dials fine, connects but does not display the icon for the internet. (broadband connections only have a LAN icon, but PPPoE have one for LAN and one for the connection itself). and sometimes it just flashes the dial screen for a tenth of a second and then dissappears. other times it does nothing.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but could the fact that the computer does not meet recomended system requirements for xp that I would get a problem like this?

What I ultimatley want to do is remove XP, and install 2000. It's less system resources, and will probably run a lot better on an older machine.

BTW, I was informed by the owner of the computer that her son installed an illegal copy of windows XP (OEM from another computer).. that might be my problem right there.

The only thing is these people are paying me by the hour and, because of morals, I don't want to spend 5 or 6 hours there setting up windows for them and charge them a fortune, because I have already charged $80 (CDN) for ram, and $40 (CDN) for the work I have done so far.

I am going to the house tonight to work on this problem.

I will save a Hijack this log (I know how to read them, but it seems nellie is a pro!) and post it here for you.

P.S.

I can't remove the anti-virus they have currently (something is messed up with it, possible from a virus I removed a few days ago) and I think it needs to be re-installed because it has become corrupted.

I am going to try the NAV removal tool, because add/remove programs doesn't work.

P.S. it's Norton Anti-Virus 2003 a.k.a. System Resource-Hog 2003 :rolleyes: