Windows XP 'CHKDSK'

Don't know how well known this is - not seen it before myself so, here goes.

Lots of us are put off or scared of check disc (CHKDSK) because it can involve command prompts and potentially confusing instructions (Is there space before the slash (/) or or is that a mistake? Which letter do I put after the / to make it do what I want? and so on).

Here's the easy answer for CHKDSK.

RIGHT CLICK My Computer and click on Manage. Click on Disk Management. You will get a box and a graphic representation of all the disks on the computer. right click on the disk you want to check. You can do this either in the graphic or in the list at the top. Then click on Properties. A tabbed dialogue box comes up. Click on Tools then Error checking, Check now. Tick the boxes that appear and then start.

If the disk you want to check is the "C" drive (system disk), this has to be done before Windows starts up so you are then asked if you want to schedule checking at the next boot up. Answer Yes and reboot.

A thorough CHKDSK will be performed.

If the disk you want to check is not a system disk, CHKDSK will be carried out there and then without leaving Windows.

Easy!!

One slight warning: Depending on the condition of the disk, CHKDSK can take a very long time.

(Edit) Note the instructions above make it appear more complex than it really is.

---------

REVISED BY

Scarecrow Man

Start > Run > cmd

chkdsk [volume:][[Path] FileName] [/f] [/v] [/r] [/x] [/c] [/l[:size]]

volume: : Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.

[Path] FileName : Specifies the location and name of a file or set of files that you want chkdsk to check for fragmentation. You can use wildcard characters (that is, * and ?) to specify multiple files.

/f : Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.

/v : Displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.

/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.

/x : Use with NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes the functionality of /f.

/i : Use with NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.

/c : Use with NTFS only. Skips the checking of cycles within the folder structure, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.

/l[:size] : Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.

/?: Displays help at the command prompt.

To perform a thourough scan and fix errors on your C: drive, you would use:

chkdsk C: /r (you will be asked to reboot, upon reboot chkdsk will start)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...-us/chkdsk.mspx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonderful info.......Just what I was looking for......

I'm still a newbie at this so please bear with me.....

Will the scan do just a scan---no automatic changes---right?

Once scan done, will it spell out potential problem areas?

Probably best to have someone here with me when I do this to help me decide on proper corrective action if a problem is found----right?

Thanx for posting the info and thanx in advance for any/all additional comments and suggestions.......

• 1 month later...