New Astra or new Megane

ranger

I have my car on Renault selections and it's coming close to decision time whether I keep it or let them have it back, it is a Clio Sport 3 door, I have enjoyed it, but think I could really do with a 5 door, at the moment I am thinking about the new Megane Dynamique 1.4 16v or the new Astra Club 1.6 16v, anyone any experience, in the know or any "on the street reports" with these cars?

I had the Zafira MPV [Auto] for three years - based on the Astra floor pan and same engines, transmission. Very pleased with it and took delivery of a new one this March, superb car.

New Astra seems even better then the previous one. I was very impressed with a 30 minute test drive of the new Astra and when the new Zafira comes out early next year it too will be based on the current Astra, so I will be going for another Zafira in 2007 unless something better comes on the market. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the replies guys, I finally made up my mind, sorry andsome I went for the French folly,

I have just ordered a Megane 1.6VVT Dynamique in hologram grey, it came down to mainly four things, not particularly in any order of preference

Renault gave me the best overall deal

The Megane has 5 stars in the Euro Ncap safety awards (the Astra may have, I don't know, I never asked the salesman due to his attitude)

The Megane has lots more toys as standard (better looking alloy wheels, front and rear electric windows, automatic lights and windscreen wipers, electrically heated mirrors, electro chrome rear mirror, front fog lights, air con as well as a multitude of others)

The salesman at Renault actually looked as if he wanted to make a sale, was welcoming and took time to find out exactly what I wanted as opposed to the salesman at the Vauxhall dealership where, although he was nice enough, I got the feeling he just couldn't be bothered and it was a effort to answer some of my questions and I left the dealership feeling slightly dissatisfied.

So there you go, we should be getting a nice shiny new car the day I hand back my Clio on January 10th, hopefully it is the right decision.

I know what you mean about some salesmen or women.. You have possibly noted that I have just ordered a 2001 Honda Civic Executive. No big sales talk, he was interested in me and offered me coffee. I had a test drive, and he offered to come home with me to show it to 'Er Indoors. When I told him that she was out for the morning, he said not to worry he would come over to our house and show it to her in the afternoon. He obviously wanted to make a sale, but I did not feel pushed at all. I hate feeling pushed, but I felt as though I had space if you know what I mean.

Enjoy your car as I feel sure that I will.