Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected and removed. This helps reduce negative effects caused by spyware, including slow PC performance, annoying pop-up ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your private information. Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding more than 50 ways spyware can enter your PC. Participants in the worldwide SpyNet™ community play a key role in determining which suspicious programs are classified as spyware. Microsoft researchers quickly develop methods to counteract these threats, and updates are automatically downloaded to your PC so you stay up to date.

Details and download (6.2MB):

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

Minimum system requirements for Windows AntiSpyware (Beta):

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
  • A 300 MHz or faster processor with at least 64 MB of RAM
  • Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server™ 2003
  • At least 10 MB of available free space on your hard disk
  • Internet access with at least a 28.8 Kbps connection to use SpyNet™

See also www.spynet.com

Just hours after installing Microsoft AntiSpyware on my office computer, I got kind of a pop-up (more like a pull-up from the systray), saying that "Microsoft AntiSpyware has automatically allowed installation of ...", then slid down back into the systray, without allowing me to finish reading what it had allowed.

It took me a long time to find the logged information of what had happened. Here is a quick documentation how to find what AntiSpyware [AS] has blocked or allowed.

• Open AS
  • Click on Real-time Protection (top right)
  • Hover over Application Agents
  • Click on Application Agent Settings
  • On the left pane click on View all application events

Similar information can be found for Internet Agents and System Agents (there is no Back button or keyboard shortcut; you have to click on Real-time Protection again).

P.S. in my case the following was the content of the (green) pull-up warning

ActiveX Installations alert

Occured on: 2005-01-11 at 14:58:26

Installed ActiveX count has changed from 0 to 20, the new ActiveX {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} has been automatically allowed. Microsoft AntiSpyware has determined this program to be free of known spyware.

About ActiveX Installations: ActiveX applications are programs that are downloaded from web sites and are stored on your computer. These applications are stored in C:\windows\Downloaded Program Files. They are also referenced in the registry by their CLSID which is the long string of numbers between the curly braces. There are many legitimate ActiveX applications that Internet Explorer regularly uses. If you are uncertain of the function of an ActiveX application, you can delete it without harm to your computer. If you later find you need this application Windows will automatically re-download it for you.

I dunno if I much like that idea... I don't even use automatic updates because I want to know what's happening.

I actually also would prefer to be prompted; but so far I haven't found any option to set that.

Is anyone following the newsgourps at nntp://privatenews.microsoft.com/ ?

Is anyone following the newsgroups at nntp://privatenews.microsoft.com/ ?

Oohh -- lots of screaming and howling going on over there: AV deleted all my MP3 files!! AV deleted all my email!!! AV corrupted my computer!!!! Microsoft released another buggy product!!!!!

Nothing to be learned there...

P.S. Anyone knows how to code an NNTP or NEWS URL in BBCode, so that http:// isn't automatically inserted in front of nntp:// ?

Is anyone following the newsgroups at nntp://privatenews.microsoft.com/ ?

Oohh -- lots of screaming and howling going on over there: AV deleted all my MP3 files!! AV deleted all my email!!! AV corrupted my computer!!!! Microsoft released another buggy product!!!!!

Nothing to be learned there...

P.S. Anyone knows how to code an NNTP or NEWS URL in BBCode, so that http:// isn't automatically inserted in front of nntp:// ?

Take a look here:

TC will also make it much harder for you to run unlicensed software. In the first version of TC, pirate software could be detected and deleted remotely. Since then, Microsoft has sometimes denied that it intended TC to do this, but at WEIS 2003 a senior Microsoft manager refused to deny that fighting piracy was a goal: `Helping people to run stolen software just isn't our aim in life', he said. The mechanisms now proposed are more subtle, though. TC will protect application software registration mechanisms, so that unlicensed software will be locked out of the new ecology. Furthermore, TC apps will work better with other TC apps, so people will get less value from old non-TC apps (including pirate apps). Also, some TC apps may reject data from old apps whose serial numbers have been blacklisted. If Microsoft believes that your copy of Office is a pirate copy, and your local government moves to TC, then the documents you file with them may be unreadable. TC will also make it easier for people to rent software rather than buy it; and if you stop paying the rent, then not only does the software stop working but so may the files it created. So if you stop paying for upgrades to Media Player, you may lose access to all the songs you bought using it.

People were warned...

I dunno if I much like that idea... I don't even use automatic updates because I want to know what's happening.

I actually also would prefer to be prompted; but so far I haven't found any option to set that.

Is anyone following the newsgourps at privatenews.microsoft.com ?

How do you use that newsgroup? I can't seem to figure out how to access it...

This morning - on the first reboot after installing AS - I got another (blue) pull-up, warning me that an unknown BAT script is trying to get executed, and this time prompting me to allow or disallow, even with the option to remember this decision.

This I like!

Last night the automatically scheduled run of AV found three items it already found yesterday, but under a different name and location, in folder

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E87A81FB-FDCF-4B92-A20C-951710F82D7C}

I didn't touch these items (Ignore), but after a rebbot everything in this folder disappeared. Anyone knows what this folder is for?