Windows XP Home and Mandrake Linux Networking

Tony

Hi All

I have Win XP home on my system and i have installed Mandrake 10 on my wifes system, both systems are connected to a Net Gear RT314 Router, both can connect to the Internet and download mail.

Now i don't know much about Networking but before my wife had win 2k on her system and that was no problem getting the two PC's talking to each other, it was just a matter of enabling sharing on both systems, mapping the drives and making sure they both had the same work group.

The work-group was MS HOME, now for the life of me i can not see anything similar to what i did in windows in Mandrake, i am new to Linux as well and i know that things have different names and are in different places, but i cant figure out how to the the two systems talking to each other.

Here are my connection details from the XP system

Physical Address: 00-0B-6A-20-35-42

IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained: 29/01/2005 18:28:58

Lease Expires: 01/02/2005 18:28:58

DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

WINS Server:

I did try Ubuntu on my wifes system a couple of weeks ago and straight after the install my system was listed there and i could access my computer from my wifes, so i know it can be done, but how?

Thanks for any help on this

Tony

PS i think that i will need a step by step guide on this

Hi all

Just an update on this.

Well i have got it working after, sort of half following Redhats guide. but i got stuck on the guide when it would not "make install" and after a few hours of messing around, i just carried on reading the guide and did as it says in the last section, and it works fine, so i can only guess that samba was already installed, i just have to try and sort out the print sharing now, but that is not so important as we have a laser jet connected to the linux PC, but it is only a black & white one, if my wife wants to print in colour, for now she will have to do as you do Scuzzman.

Thanks for the help anyway guys

Cheers

Tony