RESOLVED - ADSL dialer?

fikrilazam

I'm connecting to the net using PPPoE broadband. I have to connect manually each time I start my PC.

Is there any way that can enable me to make the connection automatically each time the PC starts?

And is there any way I can automate the dialing process so that after dialing, it will execute another program??

For example: each time I connect to the internet, I have to run "No-IP DUC.exe".

Thanks... :confused:

I don't quite understand the question. I use broadband, and all I need to do to connect is to double click Internet Explorer. I am not automatically connected when the computer starts up.

Thats probably because you set "always dial my default connection" or "dial whenever a network connection is not present" in IE's Internet Options under the Connections tab.

But Im looking for a way to make it so that Im automatically connected to the internet everytime the PC starts. Are there any programs that can automatically connect my broadband when the PC starts?

I don't quite understand the question. I use broadband, and all I need to do to connect is to double click Internet Explorer. I am not automatically connected when the computer starts up.

Thats probably because you set "always dial my default connection" or "dial whenever a network connection is not present" in IE's Internet Options under the Connections tab.

But Im looking for a way to make it so that Im automatically connected to the internet everytime the PC starts. Are there any programs that can automatically connect my broadband when the PC starts?

My setup says "Never dial a connection". I just double click IE whenever I want to go online. I don't see any point in being connected as soon as the computer starts. It only takes half a second. My computer never dials as such I use a cable broadband modem.

With ADSL there is nothing to dial. You do not need a telephone number in order to be connected to the Internet - it is always on and any connecting that is required is done in your computer.

When I had a USB ADSL connection, all I had to do was click on IE and there it was - all ready and waiting for me. Now I have an ethernet system, I don't even have to do that. As soon as the computer is booted, up the Internet is ready and waiting for me (or a program) to use it.

I use a Alcatel ADSL modem on broadband which requires starting to get the connection.

You could put 'No-IP DUC.exe' in your startup or add it to the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

OR

If you set 'dial whenever a network connection is not present' in connection of IE, so when you start IE it with request you to start your dialer with a popup

I think there are at least two things going on here we may not see with other Broadband connections:

I'm connecting to the net using PPPoE broadband.

each time I connect to the internet, I have to run "No-IP DUC.exe".

In order to get to the Internet, the ISP is requiring authentication via PPPoE. The ISP also should be providing instructions on how to initiate that connection.

Any reason for the No-IP software? You'll want to configure that to autorun too. You'll want to somehow try to ensure that it starts after your PPPoE connection is up. I'm not sure of a way to do that.

In order to get to the Internet, the ISP is requiring authentication via PPPoE. The ISP also should be providing instructions on how to initiate that connection.

Thats also true... I'm not actually "dialing" a number or anything, its just that I have to initiate and authenticate the connection first in order to get access to the internet. To do that I double-click the "Broadband" connection in Control Panel>Network Connections.

But I have found the way to do that automatically everytime the PC starts. I just made a shortcut to the connection in Start Menu's Startup folder. And now everytime the PC starts, the connection starts too. :D Problem solved...

But, :offtopic: now I have to configure the connection to start first before any other program. Any suggestion on how??

OK - here's the scoop.

1) He's using Windows XP's integrated PPPoE connection client, and there isn't a way to link it to other programs that I know of, short of including it in a batch file.

2) Andsome, you are connected when the computer starts if you use Cable. To check, to go Start->Connect To->Show all connections

Right-click "Local area connection" and choose "Status"... go to the "Support" tab. If there is anything aside from "169.254.xxx.xxx" in the "IP Address" field, you're connected.

The IP Address is you're computer's unique internet address -- like your computer's "internet name". If it's there, you're connected, just might not be utilising the internet connectivity at the time (you haven't got to be using the internet to be connected).

1) He's using Windows XP's integrated PPPoE connection client, and there isn't a way to link it to other programs that I know of, short of including it in a batch file.

Thats right... :)

And thanks Boris for the link to Startup Delayer. Worked perfect. Just like I wanted. Now I can make sure the connection is up before anything else... :D

Attached screencap of my Network Connections FYI...

post-2033-1113230121_thumb.jpg