Common sense got the better of me.

deuces wild

OK, call me chicken, but after trying to work with my (soon to be) 18 year old son on a small project and the headaches I encountered I decided that it would not be a good idea to try to build a computer with him for his high school graduation gift.

So sticking with a budget we went out today to check out what Dell had to offer. After getting apples to apples quotes at the Dell store, Dell on-line and Dell phone sales we went with the following:

Dell XPS400 ( http://tinyurl.com/8x9pd ) system including upgrades:

• Intel Pentium D Processor 840 (3.2GHz) w/ Dual Core Technology
  • 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
  • 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (4 DIMM slots)
  • 20 inch (20.0 inch viewable) 2005FPW Wide Aspect Digital Flat Panel Display
  • 256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
  • Dual TV Tuner with Remote Control
  • 16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW
  • Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Desktop Solution
  • SoundBlaster X-Fi PCI Extreme Music Sound Card
  • Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers System with Subwoofer
  • Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with WinXP Home
  • Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
  • 4 Year Limited Warranty (All XPS system owners will receive rapid response1 support from our XPS trained technicians)
  • 4 Year on site Warranty Sup port
  • Output Wattage: 375 Watts
  • Video: 1 VGA connector, 1 DVI connector, USB: 7 USB 2.0 ports - 2 front/5 back/1 internal
  • Externally available Bays: Two 3.5 inch bays and two 5.25 inch bay
  • Internally accessible Bays: Two 3.5 inch bays for hard drives
  • IO ports: Video:
    - 1 VGA connector, 1 DVI connector
    - USB: 7 USB 2.0 ports - 2 front/5 back/1 internal
    - 7.1 Channel Audio: 5 miniature jacks for line in, line out (front, rear and center) and two front panel connectors for headphones/microphone

The "out the door price" was around $2,400, including shipping and taxes. The phone sales department blew the other offers (store and on-line) away, including a better warranty and rebates.

This is a done deal but any comments are appreciated, good or bad. I just hope I made the right decision. :)

Specs look fine to me, Seem to remember you mentioned you wanted to play games on it. I dont see a problem running anything and if you do want to upgrade the GFX power at some point I think the card you have bought is capable of running in Parelell.

I have never owned a Dell computer though so I cant comment on them as a manafacturer.

Looks good to me. If I would change one thing (if it were for me), it would be the wireless keyboard and mouse. Dell pushed a wireless keyboard and mouse on me when I bought my last home PC (Optiplex GX270), and this is the stupidest thing in the world! Every time I turn on my computer I find that the batteries are empty again. 8 batteries for the keyboard, 1 for the mouse. I really do not need these devices to be wireless; in fact I didn't even know that they are giving me this wireless stuff.

Looks good to me. If I would change one thing (if it were for me), it would be the wireless keyboard and mouse. Dell pushed a wireless keyboard and mouse on me when I bought my last home PC (Optiplex GX270), and this is the stupidest thing in the world! Every time I turn on my computer I find that the batteries are empty again. 8 batteries for the keyboard, 1 for the mouse. I really do not need these devices to be wireless; in fact I didn't even know that they are giving me this wireless stuff.

This surprises me. I have three AA cells in my three years old keyboard, and I have replaced them ONCE. My mouse has two AAA cells and they last about four or five months. You should sent yours back for replacement, there is obviously a fault.