Spysweeper & Price hikes

Dorian

OK,Time for a grumble...

Ive been looking into buying spysweeper to protect my pc that little bit more..

Once on spysweepers site I notice that in US Dollars they want $29.95 which converted to UK Pounds is equal to around £15.78, a worthwile investment I thought.. Until I spotted the UK part of the site.. there they want £24.95 grrrrrrr !! :censored::censored::censored: Has anyone else noticed price hikes for other software anywhere

Don't know about this particular rip-off but what I find particluarly galling is that software downloads from several US suppliers are charged a disproportionate amount in Sterling compared with the USD price. They refuse to accept $ pricing from the UK - that is as soon as you put your location in the required box, the option of paying by $ disappears and you are forced to pay over the odds (often by a large amount) for the privilege of your download crossing the Atlantic.

Even worse is if the site has a European off-shoot. Then the € price matches the $ with the £ being numerically the same or more, making it even more costly. Since when does £1 = €1 = $1?

Yup im sure ive pointed it out before altho it may not have been on this forum, it is a rip off :angry:

I think we should email them and see what response we get

http://www.webroot.com/uk/company/contactus/

Sensible idea. I certainly would if I wanted the program. WILL THEY BOTHER TO ANSWER?

Im not sure if this is "illegal" but you can update the definitions yourself (from an official webroot link) even when the subscription has expired :) I dont see why it should be illegal after all its webroot's own stupidity for allowing you to do it. I remember at one point if you filled in the form to order a subscription right (r wrong, whatever way you want to look at it) you could get a free subscription sent to ur email :)

With all the free anti spyware programs available I doubt that Spysweeper offers anything the others cannot already do.

B)

My main concern was to find a replacement for windows defender, I was looking for a good solid all round program which can activly silently scan in the background while using little resourses, most of the software which provides solid active background scanning is trial apart from custom scans from the likes of ewido, a squared, spyware doctor, spysweeper and so on. There are freebies out there but IMHO you get what you pay for, if you want the best you have to shell out that little more.

With all the free anti spyware programs available I doubt that Spysweeper offers anything the others cannot already do.

B)

My main concern was to find a replacement for windows defender, I was looking for a good solid all round program which can activly silently scan in the background while using little resourses, most of the software which provides solid active background scanning is trial apart from custom scans from the likes of ewido, a squared, spyware doctor, spysweeper and so on. There are freebies out there but IMHO you get what you pay for, if you want the best you have to shell out that little more.

Not IMO.

Better does not necessarily mean it costs more.

SpywareBlaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpywareGuard and SpyDefense are all free (contributions accepted) with one or two of them running silently in the background using little system resources. :flowers:

Ewido is a very good anti-spyware program. There is a free version (scanner only) and a paid version (with online guard). AFAIK they sell it only through download from their website, so there will be no price difference for wherever you are.

As for pricing differences in different countries, I see the same here in Japan. The same software can cost 3 times as much here compared to the US. However, being in the software industry myself, I know that customer support is very much more expensive here than in the US, so naturally this money has to come from somewhere. It may be something similar in the UK.

However, being in the software industry myself, I know that customer support is very much more expensive here than in the US, so naturally this money has to come from somewhere. It may be something similar in the UK.

A lot of customer support (for all sorts of industries and services) for the UK is now based in India - for ecomonic reasons. That still doesn't prevent us being ripped off.

My guess for the reason They hiked the prices is with all the new spyware comeing out.

Hmmmmm, to me its for sheer greed.

Ive checked out ewido's price for the full version (I already have the trial) and it seem much more reasonable. (even though with the trial vers I can still update the definitions after the trial periiod ran out ages ago, but I have no active background scan which is what im after)

Its priced at $29.95 and for the UK £16.95 which I feel is a much more reasonable than the price difference with spysweeper. I know from my experience ewido is great little program too, so its goodbye to the spysweeper trial and definate no to its purchase.

B)

Not IMO.

Better does not necessarily mean it costs more.

SpywareBlaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpywareGuard and SpyDefense are all free (contributions accepted) with one or two of them running silently in the background using little system resources. :flowers:

I run all of the above with the exception of Spydefense - and I have also just uninstalled Window Defender - dont like it as it hasnt found anything that adaware and spybot found immediately after defender had run and found nothing. I have spywareBlaster and Spyware Guard running in the background. I have later for a while now and never found any updates ready for it.

I have paid for programs via USA and Mastercard and the amounts charged in Aus$s are consistent with the values shown on the currency charts. To date never bought from a UK site.

I tend to go to MajorGeeks as they carry most software and have reviews you can read etc. Have freeware and shareware.

I am off to them now to look for Spydefense. :D

I was going to have a look too at spydefense myself but then found this post... --> http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=24642 hmmm is it worth it if its not getting updated. I also have all of the above but was looking for a replacement for defender

OK I couldnt find it on Major Geeks - should have stopped there now in hindsight reading above and recent topic. If it is not on Major Geeks seemkgly it is not worthy - I WILL REMEMBER THIS I WILL RMEMBER THIS. :lol:

I didnt - googled and found their site and downloaded, but then noticed it was beta - nowadays since crashes - and window defender beta is a nasty word :angry:

For some reason it downloaded with Windows and not with my usual Download Accelerator program - then when I had checked it for virus's and opened it - the windows download manager said it had not found an author and said it was adviseable not to open it.

So didnt and now see it was right :D Another one for my cyberscrub to see off :rolleyes: