Lawsuit calls Microsoft's anti-piracy tool spyware

A computer user is suing Microsoft Corp. over the company's Windows Genuine Advantage anti-piracy tool, alleging that it violates laws against spyware.

The suit by Los Angeles resident Brian Johnson, filed this week in U.S. District Court in Seattle, seeks class-action status for claims that Microsoft didn't adequately disclose details of the tool when it was delivered to PC users through the company's Automatic Update system.

Windows Genuine Advantage is designed to check the validity of a computer user's copy of the operating system. But the tool became a subject of heightened controversy earlier this month, after PC users began noticing that it was making daily contact with Microsoft's servers without their knowledge, even if their software was valid.

"Microsoft effectively installed the WGA software on consumers' systems without providing consumers any opportunity to make an informed choice about that software," the suit alleges.

Full Story

Court Documents

Reading through the article, it does appear that they have been forced to make some changes to the tool. Can we really trust any big company? When money is at stake, some people and company's will get up to all sorts of tricks.

Is it me or is Microsoft always getting sued for one reason or another? :huh:

They must be the most sued Company in the World!

Could it be that they are the most devious (and corrupt) in the world? You can not become the richest man in the world (by miles) by "earning" that sort of money.

Could it be that they are the most devious (and corrupt) in the world? You can not become the richest man in the world (by miles) by "earning" that sort of money.

Very true but I think that Bill Gates makes up for some of this by being very generous to charities.

I don't know how much he has donated over the years but it must run into billions of dollars!

p.s. I know that he can easily afford to do this but the point is that he doesn't have to do it.

Anyway, the WGA tool has landed Microsoft in hot water yet again.

In all fairness, I think Microsoft had the right idea which was to try to reduce piracy, which in some countries like China is almost at epidemic levels, but they just went about it the wrong way.

p.s. I know that he can easily afford to do this but the point is that he doesn't have to do it.

This could be because he knows that you can not enter heaven if the thickness of your wallet precludes you from going through the gate.