Windows® Defender

Lamb Chop - IE 7 is quite a bit different in layout and operation to IE 6 and you might not get on with it very well.

I upgraded and don't like it at all. OK, I know I don't use it as a default but this new one makes me want to use it even less. Similarly some of the people who work for my son are of the same opinion and they use these things far more than I ever would.

I've been quite impressed with the new version of Netscape which has loads of built in security (I'm not suggesting you abandon others), is easy to use and quick. You might want to give it a go. click here.

Now that I have got used to it I quite like IE 7. I have downloaded netscape and may well have a look at it tonight, having backed everything up first. I hope I get on better with it than I did FF.

Is there an easily installed spill chucker?

• 2 weeks later...

Windows® Defender version 1.1.1593.0 is now available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...a4-f7f14e605a0d

Windows® Defender x64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...a5-74f236e9283b

1.1.1593.0 contains enhancements that were added to the German and Japanese versions, released last week.

Note: If you have version 1.1.1592.0, you must first manually uninstall Windows Defender before you can install this newer version. To configure or remove the existing version, use Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

I do not quite understand why the previous version must be uninstalled (it wasn't necessary to uninstall for the beta upgrade to the final release). I will wait and see if the new version installs automatically with the Microsoft Updates tomorrow.

I have just downloaded and installed the new version.

As you stated - it insisted that I first uninstall the previous version - which I did.

After instal I got a pop up message from the task bar notification area that Defender is updated its definition files - after a couple of minutes the notification vanished and left me with a defender icon in the notification area surmounted by a yellow exclamation mark.

Opening Defender to its home page shows that the definition file is version 1.0.0.0 created on 25/01.2006 and the "Check for Updates" button is greyed out.

I visited the web help site and it tells me that Defender will not update its files until the next time Microsoft add new files to their data base - but you can force this by clicking

Start

Run

Enter > Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

Which will remove the old definition file and allow the new one to be updated.

I did this and the same condition remained - old definition file shown and yellow exclamation mark in task bar notification area. Update button greyed out.

About an hour later Defender suddenly fired into life - downloaded updates and commenced a computer quick scan I had not asked for.

Upon completion - with no problems found - it shows Definition version 1.14.1828.5 created 8/11/06.

So how do I get the version you have quoted ?

I am a tad confused and tempted to dump the programme.

Alan, for the reasons I stated earlier in this thread, I am also tempted to dump Windows Defender.

It continues to miss items that other scans deal with effectively and whatever Microsoft think about tracking cookies, I think otherwise and don't want them on my machines - which then makes their software rather redundant.

I will see what the normal update brings before installing it, and may possibly follow suite and uninstall. It must run properly or not at all as far as I'm concerned. I have no intention of messing about and tinkering with it.

I just tried the update button again which was not greyed out this time - it searched for updates for a couple of minutes then went away - presumably having not found any.

It still shows Definition version 1.14.1828.5 created 8/11/06.

Edit

A couple of minutes after I made this post - a pop up from the task bar notification area appeared stating that no newer updates are available

Ooooops

Just clicked the Options arrow to the right of the help icon, then clicked "About Windows Defender".

Up pops

Windows Defender Version 1.1.1593.0

Definition version 1.14.1828.5

So I have indeed got the latest version

I was getting the two confused.

Sorry....................:oops:

Since I installed the final version it has yet to find anything. It always gives me a clean bill of health. I always let it run first automatically, then A Squared or SUPERAntispyware will find problems immediately afterwards.