Windows® Defender

The final version of Windows® Defender has been released.

Release Notes: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...leasenotes.mspx

Download (Windows Server 2003 SP1; Windows XP SP2):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...a4-f7f14e605a0d

Download (x64):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...a5-74f236e9283b

what makes Windows Defender better than the other, much longer excisting anti-adware/spyware software?

One thing only: it is the only free anti-spyware program (that I know of) that has an active component that protects your system. It can also be scheduled for regular system scans.

The other anti-spyware program I have installed (AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, formerly Ewido) can not do this with the free version.

Anyway, it will probably be part of Vista, and possibly non-removable.

I have downloaded it.

It ran OK and it seems totally different to the tree grinder that I installed initially.

Do I remember correctly that after a trial period, this program would be on a subscription basis?

I have downloaded it.

It ran OK and it seems totally different to the tree grinder that I installed initially.

Do I remember correctly that after a trial period, this program would be on a subscription basis?

If it is I will uninstall it.

I uninstalled the beta version as it was not so good.

If I download this one and it works, will do as 'andsome says and will uninstall if I have to pay.

I use Ewido or whatever it is now - updated recently, an Pat says dosnt do something?

Not clear on what defender does that ewido dosnt?

:angry:

Only got notified on this by my tech emails from Washington Post yesterday.

Also they say a new non Beta Internet brower coming if you want it or not> B)

Also say Firefox 2.0 is better.

What say you?

Lamb Chop, I've downloaded IE 7 but still much prefer Firefox 2. MS have mucked about with IE in attempts to streamline it and, in my view, spoiled it completely. I can't get on with it at all now.

I've been using Netscape a bit of late - you might like to give that a try. It has a new version and is stuffed with security software. Get it from here.

Regarding Windows Defender, I have it installed and it's infinitely better than it was. I'm still not convinced that it's as good as they say it is, though.

Lamb Chop, I've downloaded IE 7 but still much prefer Firefox 2. MS have mucked about with IE in attempts to streamline it and, in my view, spoiled it completely. I can't get on with it at all now.

I've been using Netscape a bit of late - you might like to give that a try. It has a new version and is stuffed with security software. Get it from here.

Regarding Windows Defender, I have it installed and it's infinitely better than it was. I'm still not convinced that it's as good as they say it is, though.

Why? :huh:

Because running an AVG Antispyware scan immediately after the Windows one brought up two tracking cookies. OK, nothing too severe but there all the same.

Ad-Aware will also bring up a few "negligible" items most times as well.

Because running an AVG Antispyware scan immediately after the Windows one brought up two tracking cookies. OK, nothing too severe but there all the same.

Ad-Aware will also bring up a few "negligible" items most times as well.

Was WD configured in Tools/Options for a quick scan or a full scan?

Just repeated the scans - quick scan with both. WD came up clean. AVG, on the other hand gave two tracking cookies - "Advertising" and "DoubleClick".

Perhaps WD doesn't class them as anything undesirable :(

- - - and an Ad-Aware scan has just come up with "3 Critical Objects" and 7 "negligible objects" :( :(

Q. Why doesn’t Windows Defender detect cookies? Does Microsoft plan to detect these in future versions of the software?

A. Many cookies are used for legitimate purposes and Microsoft believes that the appropriate place to manage cookies through your Web browser.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s.../about/faq.mspx

Just repeated the scans - quick scan with both. WD came up clean. AVG, on the other hand gave two tracking cookies - "Advertising" and "DoubleClick".

Perhaps WD doesn't class them as anything undesirable :(

- - - and an Ad-Aware scan has just come up with "3 Critical Objects" and 7 "negligible objects" :( :(

Which were?

Surely this is a case of what has always been said on here, that what one program doesn't find another may? Any such program is only as good as its latest update. I run Spyware Blaster, A squared, Windows defender, Spyware guard, SUPERAntispyware, and Nod 32 AV plus Zone alarm firewall. I feel well protected.

I have stopped using Crap Cleaner 'scan for issues, but still use it as a general cleaner. I now run an occasional scan with Windows live one care safety scanner.

Many cookies may well be used for legitimate purposes - similarly, others aren't. At least some of those that aren't are detected by other scanners so why can't WD sort those out in a similar fashion?

My point is, though, that one shouldn't rely on WD as the "be all and end all" of whatever is it claimed to do. Other programs are still desirable to remove those that Microsoft see as legitimate and others don't.

I can't answer what the things that Ad-Aware located as it doesn't give the detail without searching for it and I checked out before looking for them.

Well I did the full scan said my computer was running normally and found "nutting" and I then scanned with Superantispyware and got 3 tracking cookies.

Same as Pops found. :0

Where I get these from dont know but dont show up on cookie wall. Actually the number of cookies that it pops out is horrendous. Incoming arriving constantly. :angry:

Not sure when this IE7 will arrive but hasnt yet and can I still keep IE6 as I love it. Very friendly to my eyes.

Firefox 1,0 wasnt - kept having to alter the text size.

I also run Zonewall free edition firewall, AVG Free edition - spyguard and spywareblaster, Browser Hi Jack Retaliator,

spybot and Adaware. Forgot Ewido.

Sometimes seems I spend a lot of time housekeeping - updates and running them one after the other but clean so far except for those tracking cookies whence they came who knows, dont go to any sites other than forums and newpapers or on line news sites. :angry: No good tracking me no money :D