Allchin Suggests Vista Won't Need Antivirus

Chris

During a telephone conference with reporters yesterday, outgoing Microsoft co-president Jim Allchin, while touting the new security features of Windows Vista, which was released to manufacturing yesterday, told a reporter that the system's new lockdown features are so capable and thorough that he was comfortable with his own seven-year-old son using Vista without antivirus software installed.

Allchin's statement came in response to a question about his relative level of confidence that Vista would be more secure than Windows XP SP2. In response, he noted there were key security features added to Vista which could not be added to Windows XP SP2 even though, he said, his people apparently tried to do so.

More | Here

If Vista doesn't need antivirus why have MS (eventually) cooperated with the major AV software houses to produce suitable programs for this job?

I can envisage that an appreciable proportion of the Beta and RC testers are dedicated virus creators waiting anxiously for the launch date so that they can attack.

If Vista doesn't need antivirus why have MS (eventually) cooperated with the major AV software houses to produce suitable programs for this job?

I can envisage that an appreciable proportion of the Beta and RC testers are dedicated virus creators waiting anxiously for the launch date so that they can attack.

I bet there will be a queue to send out viruses.

I think the key statement is this one;

My son, seven years old, runs Windows Vista, and, honestly, he doesn't have an antivirus system on his machine. His machine is locked down with parental controls, he can't download things unless it's to the places that I've said that he could do, and I'm feeling totally confident about that

Yes, Vista will give you more control and allow you to run a locked down system, but, how may users will run a limited account. I know I won't, I have the knowledge to lock the system down for my children, but how may other users out there will do that?

To run any computer without anti virus and anti spyware is asking for trouble IMHO

Allchin Backs Off Antivirus Remarks

Outgoing Microsoft co-president Jim Allchin posted a blog entry Friday apologizing for the confusion surrounding comments he made to reporters Wednesday about being so confident in Windows Vista's security that his seven-year-old son's PC had no antivirus software installed.

As first reported by BetaNews, the remarks came in response to a question about his relative level of confidence that Vista would be more secure than Windows XP SP2. Allchin replied by explaining that Vista includes key security features that could not be added to XP, using his son as an example.

More | Here