ctrl alt delete?

CJ550

I'm running XP Pro and want to delete any unneccessary background tasks, but I'm not sure where to find them. When i press ctrl alt delete together the Windows Task Manager appears with the processes tab open showing about 30 running processes- do I delete all these processes apart from Explorer and SysTray? thanks

Be very careful about deleting any background tasks - you can easily delete something important if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Why do you feel you need to delete these things? I have 53 processes running according to my task manger using between 4 and 5% of CPU capacity at the moment. I don't have a clue what most of these entries do and I'm not that much bothered except insofar that I know they are not any sort of malware.

My advice is to leave alone unless you have good reasons for wanting them closed/removed.

Can you explain why you want to do this?

Start up tasks -> Start > Run > msconfig > startup tab

Start up Services -> Start > Run > Services.msc

You should know what each one does before you disable or enable it. Without taking time to research what they do and if they are important can cause damage to your computer.

That's why I recommend Startup Inspector; it gives you information on each startup item, including if it is needed or not.

• 2 weeks later...

well, it really doesnt matter if you acedentally delete a few needed processes, when you restart, they'll all be right back. to make sure they dont start up again, you can manually change the registry with regedit, in both keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version> Run

hey pops ...I just delete lots an see what works ...!.. Used to have to do this reg... under 98 to max out the resources fer games .......

unplug an play XP fer the frame rate ramp ...!.. same reason ..?...the kickker is connected fer online kills ....bear min safty is the question ...what is ...?... off yah go .....!