Is Windows Defender useless?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I made was that when WD did NOT find anything on my computer, A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware DID, same as on the other forum, not just tracking cookies, but also Trojans, proving that WD is seemingly not able to detect Trojans.

I don't know why SUPERanti-spyware can detect trojans as it's anti-spyware not anti-trojan?

I prefer a2 for trojan problems personally.

I use A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware. As I said at the time, BOTH these programs found Trojans plus tracking cookies. I did not remove them but tried running WD, and it found absolutely NOTHING. So as far as I am concerned, I have still not heard anyone say that WD has found anything at all. It is too late to remember which Trojans, they have long since been removed by one or the other of my two DECENT Anti Malware programs.

I have found multiple Trojans, and other types of malware with WD. On many different machines.

CONGRATULATIONS, you are the first.

• 1 month later...

A few months ago I swept my computer clean of my anti virus and anti malware programmes and replaced them with AVG Free version and MS Defender. My only other defences are XP Firewall, the hardware Firewall built into my wireless router and a weekly run of Crap Cleaner.

Having followed the various opinions expressed in this Forum about the efficacy of Defender and other malware programmes, I had some spare time today and reinstalled Super Antispyware and PC guard anti virus. I then did a full scan of my computer to find any nasties. There were no viruses found and Superantispyware found 11 tracking cookies of no consequence.

Hence I am quite happy that AVG and Defender are scanning all incoming traffic and keeping any nasties away.

A few months ago I swept my computer clean of my anti virus and anti malware programmes and replaced them with AVG Free version and MS Defender. My only other defences are XP Firewall, the hardware Firewall built into my wireless router and a weekly run of Crap Cleaner.

Having followed the various opinions expressed in this Forum about the efficacy of Defender and other malware programmes, I had some spare time today and reinstalled Super Antispyware and PC guard anti virus. I then did a full scan of my computer to find any nasties. There were no viruses found and Superantispyware found 11 tracking cookies of no consequence.

Hence I am quite happy that AVG and Defender are scanning all incoming traffic and keeping any nasties away.

There is no guarentee that they will always do this. You say that the tracking cookies are of no consequence, how can you be certain of this? Do you want your movements tracked? There has to be an ulterior motive with some company's tracking cookies. I prefer to do without them.