Is Windows Defender useless?

i had wd but thought it to be not very good took ages to scan and found nothing

thanx to post on this forum ,i downloaded superantispyware,it found heaps including a trojan

so to me there is no comparison superantispyware yes

windows defender no

You know it makes sense. :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WD has become useless to me too, at last. The beta has expired today, and the new version won't install on my Win2K machines.

I am now going to try a few of the apps I have heard so much about in this forum.

SUPERAntiSpyware

That program never found anything on my computers either. I could never figure out what was so super about it.

Probably because at that time there was nothing to find. Did you read my post about A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware both finding several Trojans, which I left on the computer and ran W D, which failed to find them? Proof enough for me. I don't think that you have to worry too much about time taken during scans, as you can still use the computer at the same time. THOROUGHNESS is the criteria, when it finds things that are there, and NOT speed finding nothing at all.

I am still not a believer but just to be sure I downloaded the free version, updated the definitions and am running a thorough scan right now. Unless I post back otherwise assume it once again found nothing (perhaps because the AVG AntiSpyware program and Avast AntiVirus programs I run in the background are all I need) and I will be uninstalling SuperDuperAntiSpyware. B)

WD has become useless to me too, at last. The beta has expired today, and the new version won't install on my Win2K machines.

I am now going to try a few of the apps I have heard so much about in this forum.

SUPERAntiSpyware

That program never found anything on my computers either. I could never figure out what was so super about it.

Probably because at that time there was nothing to find. Did you read my post about A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware both finding several Trojans, which I left on the computer and ran W D, which failed to find them? Proof enough for me. I don't think that you have to worry too much about time taken during scans, as you can still use the computer at the same time. THOROUGHNESS is the criteria, when it finds things that are there, and NOT speed finding nothing at all.

I am still not a believer but just to be sure I downloaded the free version, updated the definitions and am running a thorough scan right now. Unless I post back otherwise assume it once again found nothing (perhaps because the AVG AntiSpyware program and Avast AntiVirus programs I run in the background are all I need) and I will be uninstalling SuperDuperAntiSpyware. B)

It will of course find nothing if there is nothing to find. Why not give it a few days, and do as I did, running other programs first to see when there is indeed something for it to find, then run SUPERAntiSpyware again, having left the offensive crud on the machine, and see what it turns up? Remember that it is not only me who swears by this program, but other far more computer experienced members than either of us.

Probably because at that time there was nothing to find.

Yes but the same could be said about Windows Defender !!!

You obviously didn't read my other post either. A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware both found some tracking cookies AND TROJANS, I did not delete them, but reinstalled WD and ran it. As usual it found absolutely nothing. I then ran one of the other programs again, and it found the offenders and deleted them. To me, that was final proof of the uselessness of WD.

Andsome, you sure are passionate about the programs you like. :lol:

Not really. I have proved my point about the superiority of SUPERAntiSpyware against WD. I would never condemn a program without trying it first, no more than I would praise one without trying it to my own satisfaction. You cannot condemn a program because it does not find Spyware that does not exist, but you can condemn one that does NOT find Spyware that exists.

You obviously didn't read my other post either. A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware both found some tracking cookies AND TROJANS, I did not delete them, but reinstalled WD and ran it. As usual it found absolutely nothing. I then ran one of the other programs again, and it found the offenders and deleted them. To me, that was final proof of the uselessness of WD.

I did read your post andsome.

I don't worry about tracking cookies as they are low risk.

SUPERanti-spyware may well have found trojans on your PC but I prefer to use a dedicated trojan scanner (a squared) for these tasks.

As I don't worry about tracking cookies and use a-squared as a trojan scanner, SUPERanti-spyware doesn't really give me any incentive to use it instead of Windows Defender.

SUPERanti-spyware may well have found trojans on your PC but I prefer to use a dedicated trojan scanner (a squared) for these tasks.

As I don't worry about tracking cookies and use a-squared as a trojan scanner, SUPERanti-spyware doesn't really give me any incentive to use it instead of Windows Defender.

So exactly what DOES Windows Defender find and eliminate? You say that tracking cookies are LOW risk, therefore you are acknowledging that they are a risk, even thought it is low. Since there are programs that find these risks low though you say they are, why not use these programs rather than one which most people have acknowledged finds absolutely nothing. In spite of all that has been written on this forum, to the best of my knowledge, NO ONE so far has told us that WD has found and eliminated anything at all.

So exactly what DOES Windows Defender find and eliminate? You say that tracking cookies are LOW risk, therefore you are acknowledging that they are a risk, even thought it is low. Since there are programs that find these risks low though you say they are, why not use these programs rather than one which most people have acknowledged finds absolutely nothing. In spite of all that has been written on this forum, to the best of my knowledge, NO ONE so far has told us that WD has found and eliminated anything at all.

So should one apply your logic on SuperDuperantispyware with WD?

It will of course find nothing if there is nothing to find.
and

to which you reply:

Probably because at that time there was nothing to find.

Get the point andsome?

I agree that WD is just as useless as SuperDuperAnti-Spyware is. B)

There is NO comparison. A good many on here have found Malware with SUPERAntiSpyware, but I still have to see a posting that claims to have found anything with WD. Are you not being a bit blind in relying on its so called real time protection, when it has FAILED to find Trojans found by other programs?

There has been a similar thread on the other place. NO ONE who contributed to that thread had found anything with WD, despite other programs having turned up NOT JUST tracking cookies, but also TROJANS.

Are you not being a bit blind in relying on its so called real time protection, when it has FAILED to find Trojans found by other programs?

No as there were no trojans found when I run an a-squared scan !!!

Also NOD32 didn't find any trojans ( I know that it isn't a dedicated trojan scanner but it can detect some I think? )

I'll leave WD on my PC for a few more weeks to see if it finds anything and if not then I might just uninstall it and rely on a2, Spywareblaster, Spybot, etc. ;)

Are you not being a bit blind in relying on its so called real time protection, when it has FAILED to find Trojans found by other programs?

No as there were no trojans found when I run an a-squared scan !!!

Also NOD32 didn't find any trojans ( I know that it isn't a dedicated trojan scanner but it can detect some I think? )

I'll leave WD on my PC for a few more weeks to see if it finds anything and if not then I might just uninstall it and rely on a2, Spywareblaster, Spybot, etc. ;)

The point I made was that when WD did NOT find anything on my computer, A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware DID, same as on the other forum, not just tracking cookies, but also Trojans, proving that WD is seemingly not able to detect Trojans.

The point I made was that when WD did NOT find anything on my computer, A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware DID, same as on the other forum, not just tracking cookies, but also Trojans, proving that WD is seemingly not able to detect Trojans.

I don't know why SUPERanti-spyware can detect trojans as it's anti-spyware not anti-trojan?

I prefer a2 for trojan problems personally.

I don't know why SUPERanti-spyware can detect trojans as it's anti-spyware not anti-trojan?

I use A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware. As I said at the time, BOTH these programs found Trojans plus tracking cookies. I did not remove them but tried running WD, and it found absolutely NOTHING. So as far as I am concerned, I have still not heard anyone say that WD has found anything at all. It is too late to remember which Trojans, they have long since been removed by one or the other of my two DECENT Anti Malware programs.

Let's continue the discussion about the usefulness/uselessnes of Windows Defender here, instead of the Essential Updates forum.

A few people find that Windows Defender does nothing.

Some people find that Spybot Search & Destroy does nothing.

I personally find AVG Anti-Spyware a very good tool. On the other hand I find Ad-Aware Pro the most useless tool I ever had installed. Their support is non-existant, and the user forum has suddenly disappeared a few years ago.

Windows Defender only finds ACTUAL problems. Spybot Search & Destroy finds useless stuff, like "DANGEROUS TRACKING COOKIES OH NO!!!"

I use A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware. As I said at the time, BOTH these programs found Trojans plus tracking cookies. I did not remove them but tried running WD, and it found absolutely NOTHING. So as far as I am concerned, I have still not heard anyone say that WD has found anything at all. It is too late to remember which Trojans, they have long since been removed by one or the other of my two DECENT Anti Malware programs.

I have found multiple Trojans, and other types of malware with WD. On many different machines.