Netgear DG834Gv2, problem installing.

JesseJ1935

I suppose this is really for AOL customers, but any ideas will be gratefully received.

I have been trying all afternoon to get a Netgear Router up and running without any success. AOL, as some of you will no doubt know, supply instructions for installing it. It goes up to Step 9 then fails on Test 2 with the message > Router configuration has failed for - Setting Screen name. Setting SSID and WEP keys . I then followed the Netgear instructions, typing http://192.168.0.1 into I.E. and didn't get anywhere except to be told I could not connect to the Internet. When I tried a second time after going into BIOS to check if the ethernet card was working just in case it was listed, I found under Advanced On Board LAN Boot ROM was disabled. I hope I done right but I changed it to enable. I tried the AOL instructions again, same result so I tried the Netgear instructions again and it worked straight away. Except that, though it said I was connected, I wasn't. Could be that I misunderstood and that it meant the router that was connected, not that I was connected to the internet. I'm fairly certain that it is something I've either done, or not done, that is the cause of the problem.

That was yesterday, I tried again today and got very much the same results. The main difference being that I noted what was said after I clicked on Test in Testing Internet Connection.

They are:

Connection Time: 00.00.00

Connecting to Server: Failed

Negotiation: LCP down

Authentication: CHAP authentication failed

Getting IP Address: ----------------

I should add that during the installation following the Netgear instructions, when it asked for my AOL sign-on name, I tried it with both just my screen name and again with the full address, i.e. john123 and [email protected], got the same results both times. Needless to say that is not my proper screen name.

I should also add that I have updated the Router to v. 3.01.25 not that it made any difference, I got the same results both before and after updating.

I would very much appreciate any help/suggestions, preferably kept as simple as possible.

I should add that I installed one on my son-in-laws computer without any trouble at all, it worked immediately though I did have to change the channel to get his network up and running. As far as I can recall, I haven't done anything different with this one, that's what has got me puzzled.

I'm not sure about AOL High Speed where you reside, but AOL commonly uses PPPoE as an Authentication Protocol. You'll have to program your router to authenticate using PPPoE in order to use it.

It sounds like you're trying to get your router to authenticate, but that may not be working right. You might focus there in your troubleshooting.

Also, how is your PC connected to the router? If you're using a cable connection, you should not need SSID or WEP Keys at all.

If you google up LCP down or a part of your error, the results are filled with netgear/aol problems. Matter of fact every link I click on people were having the same problem as you. Everyone seemed to blame the router. Your authentication wont take place with out a lcp connection (no connection no authentication). You probably are entering the correct username/password its just not getting to AOL. Can you get to the router (192.168.0.1) now? Are you doing this from the wireless pc? And what for modem lights are on?

Also, how is your PC connected to the router? If you're using a cable connection, you should not need SSID or WEP Keys at all.

Even if a cable connection is used, it is strongly advisable to install wireless encryption keys to prevent unauthorised access to your Internet connection.

Answers to all the questions.

The PC is connected to the router by an ethernet cable which is plugged into an onboard VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, this has the very latest drivers installed.

I can now get to 192.168.0.1, most of the time (sometimes I get told I don't have an internet connection, check my settings and try again), and get the router configuration pages. The last time I tried it was set on PPPoE. All the correct lights are showing on the front of the router.

Once, or if, I get it up and running then I will install the wireless encryption keys.

I think I've managed to answer everything asked, if I've missed something then please let me know. As my computer is in my bedroom it came very close to having flying lessons yesterday, the computer as well as the router, but I will persevere for now, I'm determined it won't beat me.

If you google up LCP down
LCP is Link Control Protocol, a Layer 2 protocol, and it is most likely related to the PPPoE issue.

Even if a cable connection is used, it is strongly advisable to install wireless encryption keys to prevent unauthorised access to your Internet connection.

I agree with -pops- but wireless security should be set after everything else is working in my opinion.

Could you please go to a Command Prompt (Go to Start, Run, and type cmd, then hit Enter), and type ipconfig /all.

After the configuration is printed, right click on the title bar of the Command Window and select Edit, Mark. Highlite the information in the window then hit Enter. This will copy the ipconfig information to the clipboard.

Post a reply with your IP Configuration info. It should look something like the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XP-HOME
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : rochester.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : rochester.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-2F-CA-41-D1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.31.13
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.31.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.31.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.92.226.9
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 16, 2006 11:03:32
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:03:32
PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>

Hi Ted, many thansk for your help. Results below:

Code

C:|Documents and Settings\Brian Lewis>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host name......................brians

Primary Dns Suffix..........

Node Type...................... Unknown

IP Routing Enabled.......... No

WINS Proxy Enabled........ No

DNS Suffxe Search List....

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.......

Description................................... VIA Rhine II Fast Internet Adapter

Physical Address........................... OO-OC-6E-DO-1E-OD

Dhco Enabled................................ Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled............... Yes

IP Address..................................... 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask................................... 255.255.255.0

IP Address...................................... ?

Default Gateway.............................. 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server................................... 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers.................................... 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained................................. 17 December 2006 14:58:51

Lease Expires.................................... 18 Decmeber 2006 14:58:51

Ethernet Adapter BT Voyager 105

Media State.....................................Disconnected

Description......................................Globe Span USB ADSL Lan Modem #2

Physical Address..............................OO-11-F5-42-A3-C1

Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling - Interface

Connection Specific ........................... DNS Suffix

Description........................................ Teredo Tunneling Pseudo - Interface

Physical Address................................ FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF

Dhcp Enabled..................................... No

IP Adress........................................... ?

Default Gateway.................................

Net BIOS over Tcpip............................ Disabled

As you might guess, I've typed this out, forgot about copying it to the clipboard until it was too late.

What is this Teredo Tunnel Adaptor? Never heard, or seen, anything like this.

I've included the Globe Span simply because it was there, and I have to switch back to that to get Internet access.

Hope this tells you something that will help.

Thanks again.

Sorry I didn't ask this earlier, but what model Netgear Router? I'll take a look at the manual for it and see if I can help.

Have you been renewing your IP Address or rebooting your PC when you go from the working adapter and internet connection to the cable connection to the Router?

When the router's connected, are you able to find it's Default Gateway? Can you ping it by going to a Command Prompt and typing ping x.x.x.x where the x's are replaced by the numbers for the Default Gateway?

Hi homecomputeraid, thank you for your reply.

It's a Netgear DG834Gv.2. When I was able to, yes, I was, to both of them. For a while I was unable to bring up anything in Internet Explorer when I typed in 192.168.0.1 except for it telling me I had no internet connection, nor when I pinged it from a command prompt, then suddenly both decided to work. I haven't had a chance to follow up the previous advice to your reply as we have had visitors, but I will do so tomorrow.

Incidentally, just found your tutorials, something else I will be looking at tomorrow, look as though they are interesting.

Side Note:

"When I tried a second time after going into BIOS to check if the ethernet card was working just in case it was listed, I found under Advanced On Board LAN Boot ROM was disabled. I hope I done right but I changed it to enable."

You do not need this enabled, unless you are booting from a network. It wont hurt anything to have it on, but I always turn mine off.

Jesse,

Have you tried the Troubleshooting PPPoE or PPPoA steps on page 8-6 (106 of 166 in Acrobat Reader) in the manual? I'm not sure the manual I'm viewing is the same as yours, but it's available here:

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg834g_ref_manual.pdf

You might also check the Obtaining a WAN IP troubleshooting on the previous page, 8-5.

If you connect to or logon to AOL on your computer while going through your router, it may hinder your ability to talk to your router. I'm not sure about this and would probably need an ipconfig /all when you're logged into AOL to know for sure.

That is one thing I have not donem thank you for bringing it my attention. I will have to put it on hold for a few days as wife and I are off on a short holiday.

As for the router itself, I reached the stage yesterday when I gave up and admitted defeat at last. Only a tempoary thing, I'll keep trying when we get back home, I don't like something beating me.

hi there , i have the same problems as highlighted above with some slight variations. The Netgear DG834G will not connect or even establish an internet connection with AOL. All the setup pages have been inserted as stated. I've tried just about everything! Constantly try to check if it works and keep getting the usual errors in the Netgear config page LOG.

LCO down & CHAP authentication failed.

Router isn't able to get IP addresses from AOL for some reason. I attempted using the IP addresses that my BT Voyager uses, however discovered that the IP address were changing each time it was disconnected and reconnected. After this didn't work I reverted back to automatically gaining IP address and DNS server but still same problem.

The last time I spoke to AOL they suggested sending out a BT engineer to check our lines at the house. How can it be any different from the BT voyager 100 modem ? I am simply changing the DSL to the Netgear router.

Anyone's feedback much appreciated.

Thank you for your wishes Homecomputeraid.

I think I might give up on the Netgear Router, at least for the time being. While at my son-in-laws house I was given a Belkin Modem with a built in Router, it has come complete with specific instructions for setting it up for AOL, so I'll give that a try and see what happens. If I can't get that to work either then I'll come back to the Netgear, maybe, or just give up altogether. The only problem with the Belkin is that the power supply is missing. If anyone knows the ratings I would be grateful if they would tell me please, i.e. 240v to ??v; what amps.

I may be talking a load of old whatsit here, but...

I believe AOL has been recently taken over by Onetel/Talktalk.

I am on Onetel. My BB connection via linux+router went off on mid pm 22nd Dec.

My W98 +usb modem remained on, but slow and rheumaticky.

The Onetel service update 'phone line said they were having "issues".

After messing about trying to sort out linux+router for day after day it has suddenly come right on its own about an hour ago. Well, not right, but it is working and it is slightly better than my W98 setup.

I rang the Onetel service update 'phone line and was told "broadband is active and responding"...it wasn't earlier in the day.

Perhaps there is some synchronicity, or even a connection, here!

Its Car Phone warehouse I believe who now own AOL, After all the problems they have had with Talk Talk I'm not expecting great improvements in the service.

If I do get a router up and running I will post it on here for the benefit of all who may be having similar problems.

i got my DG834G to work! the probelm seemed to lie with BT! Some sort of fault with their line , not my home line! A router / modem combo ( DG834G ) requires 3 domains, apparently, and a modem ( such as my old BT voyager 100 ) only requires one! AOL sent off those details about at least one of the domains on that line not working and within 24 hours i was signing in no bother at all , and on an extension line from my main socket , so no more moving the computer around the house! I contacted level 2 technical support who can check for faults on lines to sort this and he was the one who communicated to BT. I can't believe after all that , it was a simple software update at the BT exchange!

i hope this was useful to some! cheers

Thank you bigbassist.

I've gave up on the Netgear and, as I said in an earlier post, I have got a Belkin which has come complete with full instructions for setting it up with AOL.

I haven't had time to play with it yet, maybe tomorrow, I hope. I will bear in mind what you have said in case I run into trouble with it.