Secunia Software Inspector

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

The Secunia Software Inspector will inspect your operating system and software for insecure versions and missing security updates. A default inspection normally lasts 5-40 seconds, while a thorough inspection may take several minutes. Note: If you have anti-virus software or similar enabled, an inspection may increase significantly in duration.

http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

If it finds old versions of Macromedia Flash Player on your system, download the uninstaller from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/d...tml#uninstaller; this will uninstall all versions of the Flash Player, then install the latest version.

The scanner found obsolete Flash Player versions 7 & 8 on my system. I ran the uninstaller, then installed the latest version 9.0.28.0. Later I ran the scanner again, and it still found the same two modules

• C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx
  • C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash8.ocx

So I went there and just deleted the entire Flash folder. I don't think Flash Player 9 uses it. (see below)

While in folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed I noticed another old folder Shockwave 8 (the newest version 10 is also there). Opened the Shockwave 8 folder and found an uninstaller (UNWISE.EXE) in there. Ran it and it successfully uninstalled Shockwave 8.

[Edit] Reinstalling the latest Flash Player recreated the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash, but without any content. So I think the contents of this folder can be deleted, but the folder itself should remain - maybe as some temp repository during Flash Player content play.

The Secunia Software Inspector will inspect your operating system and software for insecure versions and missing security updates. A default inspection normally lasts 5-40 seconds, while a thorough inspection may take several minutes. Note: If you have anti-virus software or similar enabled, an inspection may increase significantly in duration.

http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

If it finds old versions of Macromedia Flash Player on your system, download the uninstaller from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/d...tml#uninstaller; this will uninstall all versions of the Flash Player, then install the latest version.

Thank you, Pat. I, too, had old versions of Flash Player and found your tips on uninstalling the old and installing the new very helpful.

Thos. (See current post on "Forum Issues--Graphics in post")

Useful one Pat, Thanks. You can see how clean I try to keep evrything. :D

I don't understand why it didn't flag that very old Macromedia Flash Player 6...?

[Edit] Also, my Windows Media Player is version 11.0.5721.5145 - I wonder why yours is lower? Is it possible that you have a beta version installed?

• 3 weeks later...

Secunia Software Inspector definitions have been updated. (Didn't find anything missing on my system, though.)

P.S. See http://secunia.com/ for the latest security advisories. The update mentioned above is most likely regarding the security update for the Opera browser.

• 2 weeks later...
Secunia Software Inspector definitions have been updated.

P.S. See http://secunia.com/ for the latest security advisories. The update mentioned above is most likely regarding the security update for the Java RTE versions 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5.

Pat, I'm not sure what happened, but I entered the link above and when I touched the link on that web page, under "Announcement", my pc shut down immediately then rebooted and a message said that my computer had recovered from a serious error. I have done a screen dump of the Microsoft page hwich appeared after I sent the error reporrt to Microsoft. Here it is....

What do you think?

Must have been another reason. No problems here, why not try again?

I'd like to say that I'm not a coward, but I think I must be! Maybe I pluck up the courage later and try again. :unsure: :)

In all probability it was just one of those annoying blips.

I have just run Secunia both in its "quick" and "thorough" form. I have had no problems.

Did you run it from the link which Pat left this morning, Thos? The one I touched was immediately below the Announcement Banner on the right of the screen.

p.s. I just plucked up the courage and went through the link again. No problems this time. My error must have been as a result of something else. :mellow:

I have just run Secunia both in its "quick" and "thorough" form. I have had no problems.

Did you run it from the link which Pat left this morning, Thos? The one I touched was immediately below the Announcement Banner on the right of the screen.

p.s. I just plucked up the courage and went through the link again. No problems this time. My error must have been as a result of something else. :mellow:

Yes. From Pat's link but out of the box at the bottom of the left column. I took the one you refer to as an invitation to the paid for version and so I avoided it.

Glad it is OK now. Were the results saisfactory?

Thos.

Glad it is OK now. Were the results satisfactory?

Yes thanks, ticks in every box. :D

Good. The first time I used it it reported "old versions of Flash Player". Fortunately, Pat included instructions on how to get rid of that and it worked.

Thos. :)

It's an excellent program, and doesn't take up any room on the computer. I hope that you put a link in My Favourites for future use.

I have added to my favourites. How often would you run it?

I have no regular timing but sometimes when I think it hasn't been run for a while I start it up. Probably around monthly.

Thos.

It's an excellent program, and doesn't take up any room on the computer. I hope that you put a link in My Favourites for future use.

I have added to my favourites. How often would you run it?

I have no regular timing but sometimes when I think it hasn't been run for a while I start it up. Probably around monthly.

Thos.

Sounds about right to me, or even a bit less frequently. It's not as though much is likely to change during that time, unlike Spyware etc.

There is no point running it if there are no new definitions. Watch this space for new definitions, or sign up for 'Reminder Service' on the Secunia website; they will send you an email when the definitions have been updated (meaning that at least one important security update has become available somewhere).

Watch this space for new definitions, or sign up for 'Reminder Service' on the Secunia website; they will send you an email when the definitions have been updated (meaning that at least one important security update has become available somewhere).

Have signed up for the reminder, just in case I miss yours. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Got a reminder mail today, ran the Software Inspector, and it found that my QuickTime player is missing the latest security update. Took me a while to find how to update, so here is what needs to be done to get the latest QT player 7.1.3.191. It's actually quite simple, but the description on the Apple website makes it rather complicated (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304989).

• open Windows Explorer
  • navigate to C:\Program Files\QuickTime and check the version of QuickTimePlayer.exe
  • if it is already 7.1.3.191, all is well
  • if it is less, then navigate to C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update and run SoftwareUpdate.exe to install all available updates

:angry: Really! :angry: They could have done this through the 'Check for Updates' function within the player, but no, you have to run an external software to find updates for the QT player!

Got a reminder mail today, ran the Software Inspector, and it found that my QuickTime player is missing the latest security update. Took me a while to find how to update, so here is what needs to be done to get the latest QT player 7.1.3.191. It's actually quite simple, but the description on the Apple website makes it rather complicated (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304989).
  • open Windows Explorer
  • navigate to C:\Program Files\QuickTime and check the version of QuickTimePlayer.exe
  • if it is already 7.1.3.191, all is well
  • if it is less, then navigate to C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update and run SoftwareUpdate.exe to install all available updates

:angry: Really! :angry: They could have done this through the 'Check for Updates' function within the player, but no, you have to run an external software to find updates for the QT player!

My file version of QuickTimePlayer is 5.0.2.15, but when I press to update, it says that I am up to date??

Am I doing something wrong here. :uhm: