Best way to clean 35mm slides??

Irene

Having recently purchased an Epson Stylus Photo RX640, I find that we have a facility to scan 35mm slides (from 40 years ago!!) onto an SD Memory card, which can then be downloaded onto the PC

.... Now then, this could be very revealing!!

As an experiment, we printed directly from the scan to photo paper. The print showed tiny hairs which were on the slide surface. Can anyone recommend the best method of cleaning the surface of the slides, prior to scanning, without damaging the said surface??

All contributions will be gratefully received. :flowers:

Cleaning old slide/negatives is a fraught business. My suggestion would be to copy "as is" and then use Photoshop (or similar) to remove/retouch any imperfections. It may perhaps take a little longer (or maybe not) but in the end you have not totally ruined your slide/negative (which is always an ever present risk).

catgate: Thanks. You may well be right. We have dozens, probably hundreds of wonderful old memories.

It could well be the project for our entire retirement!!

rong: What a great idea. Will get a compressed air can a.s.a.p.

I think that a combination of both methods may be appropriate. I would hate to do any damage to the slides. Many of them were taken when our children were tiny and as they were growing up. (Son being 41 and daughter 39 in just over a month). Naturally there are also many members of the family who are no longer here, so it is very important to us to preserve the originals.

Thank you very much for your help. :) :flowers:

The thing my son uses for cleaning dust from his slides before working on them is very similar to those "microfibre" cleaning cloths that I've seen in supermarkets either under the supermarket's own brand or Vileda.

These are lint free and clean dust off very easily but I would suggest earthing the slide immediately after cleaning to discharge any static build-up. Just touch against a metal electrical object that's plugged in but not necessarily switched on.

Ensure the cloth hasn't been treated with a special finish and if it has, wash before use.

I have always used little blower brushes, like this

post-1524-1168232845_thumb.jpg

before scanning slides or negatives. This will make sure that no dust or little hairs are on the surface, but does not inflict any damage to the delicate surfaces.

After scanning I use Paint Shop Pro to improve lighting, remove scratches, and crop the unnecessary/uneven portion of the frame.

"microfibre" cleaning cloths

Thanks pops. I already have one of those, so I'll wash it without adding any fabric softner type finish. ;)

I have always used little blower brushes.

After scanning I use Paint Shop Pro to improve lighting, remove scratches, and crop the unnecessary/uneven portion of the frame.

Great advice. Thanks Pat. :)