Problem with Microsoft Outlook

Nellie

I use Outlook, NOT Outlook Express. Could that have any bearing on the problem?

Which are you using Kirbster?

Hi Irene, Kirbster is trying to set up his account in Outlook, I suggested Outlook Express when he asked about a different Email client, because I knew it would already be installed on his computer.

When I had problems sending emails, I contacted Yahoo.co.uk and persisted with them until I reached a satisfactory conclusion.

I have run out of ideas. Maybe Nellie will have some more. I'll keep watching, just in case I can contribute at all.

Good luck Kirbster :flowers:

OK, didn't work with thunderbird either. Found this on BT Yahoo help. This has been how my accounts were set up til Last monday

Setting up email in Outlook 2002 or 2003

Print this page

(Please note, Outlook isn't the same as Outlook Express)

Microsoft Outlook 2002 & 2003 allow you to add a new email account to your existing profile. This means that you do not have to replace your current settings in order to send and receive BT Yahoo! Mail messages.

To configure your email, follow these steps:

From the "Tools" menu, select "Email Accounts". You may have to click the arrows.

Select the radio button next to "Add a new e-mail account" and click the "Next" button.

Select the radio button next to "POP3" and click the "Next" button.

Enter the following information:

User Information

* Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.

* E-mail Address: Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address - this is the same as your username, including the "@btinternet.com" or "@btopenworld.com" part.

Server Information

* Incoming mail server (POP3):

mail.btinternet.com

* Outgoing mail server (SMTP):

mail.btinternet.com

Login Information

* User Name: Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address including the "@btinternet.com" or "@btopenworld.com" part.

* Password: Enter your BT Yahoo! password.

Don't check the box next to "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)".

Click the "More Settings" box and select the "Outgoing Server" tab.

Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".

If you would like to keep a copy of your email messages on the BT Yahoo! Mail server, select the "Advanced" tab. Check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server".

Click the "OK" button.

Click the "Next" button on the Email Account Wizard, then click "Finished".

Repeat the above process for each mail account you want to set up, including sub accounts. Each sub account will have a different email address and password.

IMPORTANT: The BT Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires Authentication. To automatically configure your email program to be able to send and receive BT Yahoo! Mail, just click on the button below:

Alternatively, to manually configure your program for SMTP Authentication, follow these steps:

Click "Tools" then select E-mail Accounts

Select "View or change existing email accounts and click "Next".

Select your BT Yahoo! Mail account and click the "Change" button on the right.

Click the "More Settings..." button in the bottom right-hand corner of the Email Accounts window.

In the Internet E-mail Settings window, click the "Outgoing Server" tab. Ensure that the box is checked next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".

Click the "Advanced" tab and ensure that you have not selected "This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" under the incoming (POP3) or outgoing (SMTP) port settings

I find it confusing that they seem to be mixing btinternet.com with yahoo.co.uk

I also have a btinternet.com password and address, but it does not relate to my yahoo email address. I really don;t understand it. :uhm:

god damn it. More phone calls to India on a crackly line, having to shout to get yourself heard then!!!!

Thanks for your help so far anyway. Will update you on any results I get!

You can always log on to the website as a last resort. You can send and receive from there. Sorry I can't help any more. :)

Well, after 2 weeks of phone calls, I have finally managed to persuade them to connect to my computer, look at my Outlook settings, just to prove to them that it is not Outlook's fault. After 45 minutes on the phone to them, the guys conclusion was "You need to contact Microsoft as it's Outlook's problem, because you are able to send emails through webmail".

I replied "what about the fact that I can't send mail using other email programs too" Then showed him Thunderbird which Nellie so kindly provided me the link to earlier. "Oh" he said, maybe it is our problem.

They've now escalated it to Server Level (2 working days for a possible solution).

What a nightmare!!! Hate to think what the 45 minute call tonight and the approx 5 hours I've spent on the phone onver the last two weeks has cost me!

will certainly ask, they can only say no!!!

Just the tip of the iceberg with this new place I've just bought. Found out today that between two of us in a 2 bedroom flat we have used £200 of gas in 3 months. I now know why, the meter they told me was ours is not, it's the flat above. My meter has a far lower number on!!

God, I'm sick of cowboys!!

will certainly ask, they can only say no!!!

Just the tip of the iceberg with this new place I've just bought. Found out today that between two of us in a 2 bedroom flat we have used £200 of gas in 3 months. I now know why, the meter they told me was ours is not, it's the flat above. My meter has a far lower number on!!

God, I'm sick of cowboys!!

Just read this thread and joined up on the spot to offer sympathy and say thank god i'm not going mad - i have the same outlook 2003 receiving but not sending via btinternet problem but i thought it had appeared when i switched isp from bt to tiscali .... i now know different. I'd tried all the things above and had given up hope of fixing the problem but hey ... maybe you'll sus it out...

Steve

Just read this thread and joined up on the spot to offer sympathy and say thank god i'm not going mad - i have the same outlook 2003 receiving but not sending via btinternet problem but i thought it had appeared when i switched isp from bt to tiscali .... i now know different. I'd tried all the things above and had given up hope of fixing the problem but hey ... maybe you'll sus it out...

Steve

Hello Steve

I use Outlook and Yahoo, as you may have seen by my previous posts.

I just recalled another useful link which I have used on various occasions. It's the "Yahoo Answers" website. You can drill down to specifics like "Yahoo Mail". If you register, you can ask if anyone else is having any similar problems. This at least identifies if it is a Yahoo Mail Website problem, as it sometimes is, as opposed to your own setup!! The link to that page follows here:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/dir/;_ylt=Askk...p;sid=396546091

Hope you and kirbster both soon manage to sort out your difficulties. :)

P.S. Something else just occurred to me. Are you using the Beta Mail version? I'm not sure that they have sorted out the problems yet, so if by any chance you are using that, then change back to the old version.

Steve

Hello Steve

I use Outlook and Yahoo, as you may have seen by my previous posts.

I just recalled another useful link which I have used on various occasions. It's the "Yahoo Answers" website. You can drill down to specifics like "Yahoo Mail". If you register, you can ask if anyone else is having any similar problems. This at least identifies if it is a Yahoo Mail Website problem, as it sometimes is, as opposed to your own setup!! The link to that page follows here:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/dir/;_ylt=Askk...p;sid=396546091

Hope you and kirbster both soon manage to sort out your difficulties. :)

P.S. Something else just occurred to me. Are you using the Beta Mail version? I'm not sure that they have sorted out the problems yet, so if by any chance you are using that, then change back to the old version.

Hi Irene

Thanks for the Yahoo answers idea - definitely worth a try! I had tried changing back from Beta but no difference......and now I have pressed the wrong button and agreed to send a send receipt on one of the emails which it now fails to send over and over and over :censored: I don't suppose anyone knows where that lives in Outlook 2003 as I can't find it in the usual places to delete it

Steve

Thanks for the Yahoo answers idea - definitely worth a try! I had tried changing back from Beta but no difference......and now I have pressed the wrong button and agreed to send a send receipt on one of the emails which it now fails to send over and over and over :censored: I don't suppose anyone knows where that lives in Outlook 2003 as I can't find it in the usual places to delete it

Steve

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to send a read receipt from an incoming email?

Did the incoming email by any chance arrive via a provider you no longer use? If that is so, then you need to go into 'options' on the incoming email to change the 'send by' to your current provider.

For example:

This happens to me when I receive an email via Onetel (my former dial-up provider). If I try to reply or send a read receipt, it refuses to go until I do the procedure mentioned above. (I am now on BT Broadband, so I have removed the dial-up account from my Accounts).

Sorry if that's a bit long and garbled! :blink:

I just hope it helps. :)

Steve

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to send a read receipt from an incoming email?

Did the incoming email by any chance arrive via a provider you no longer use? If that is so, then you need to go into 'options' on the incoming email to change the 'send by' to your current provider.

For example:

This happens to me when I receive an email via Onetel (my former dial-up provider). If I try to reply or send a read receipt, it refuses to go until I do the procedure mentioned above. (I am now on BT Broadband, so I have removed the dial-up account from my Accounts).

Sorry if that's a bit long and garbled! :blink:

I just hope it helps. :)

Hi Irene

The problem is that I'm trying to stop a read receipt from repeatedly trying to send - its caught up in the whole can receive from btinternet but not send thread above so it is somewhere in the system trying and failing to send over and over :(

The problem is that I'm trying to stop a read receipt from repeatedly trying to send - its caught up in the whole can receive from btinternet but not send thread above so it is somewhere in the system trying and failing to send over and over :(

Have you tried contacting btinternet? I have found them to be very helpful. They have a helpline, which may be of use 0845 600 70 30. You will probably need your Bt Internet address, which ends with @btinternet.com and the associated password.

There is another thread running on Outlook.

Take a look at it from the link below and check out post number 3 by Scarecrow Man, it might answer your question. :)

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?s...c=29610&hl=

Hi Irene

Thanks for all your input - the thread you referred to didn't help in itself but it sparked of the (now obvious) idea to create a new outlook profile and then import my old .pst file which fixed the "stuck" email :)

As to the failing to send in the first place, I got the following from btyahoo which at least explains why it doesn't work.....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties in sending emails via an email client using another Internet Service Provider (ISP) and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Please let me explain that when you are connected via an ISP/Network other than BT Yahoo!, it is a common practice for ISP's to lock their SMTP (Outgoing) mail servers to only be accessible by users dialling up to the Internet through them. This is a security measure, which stops hackers from using your account and BT Yahoo! also subscribes to this practice.

I am sorry to inform you that you will not be able to send mail using our SMTP server when not dialled in to our service. However, you will be able to receive mail via our POP3 server without any difficulties. As such, to use our email service to send emails via an email client, you will need to connect to the Internet using BT Yahoo! Internet.

Connecting to the Internet using BT Yahoo! Internet Services will enable you to send emails via an email client using our outgoing email server.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Oh well - now I knw.

Steve

• 4 months later...
There is another thread running on Outlook.

Take a look at it from the link below and check out post number 3 by Scarecrow Man, it might answer your question.

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?s...c=29610&hl=

Hi Irene

Thanks for all your input - the thread you referred to didn't help in itself but it sparked of the (now obvious) idea to create a new outlook profile and then import my old .pst file which fixed the "stuck" email

As to the failing to send in the first place, I got the following from btyahoo which at least explains why it doesn't work.....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties in sending emails via an email client using another Internet Service Provider (ISP) and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Please let me explain that when you are connected via an ISP/Network other than BT Yahoo!, it is a common practice for ISP's to lock their SMTP (Outgoing) mail servers to only be accessible by users dialling up to the Internet through them. This is a security measure, which stops hackers from using your account and BT Yahoo! also subscribes to this practice.

I am sorry to inform you that you will not be able to send mail using our SMTP server when not dialled in to our service. However, you will be able to receive mail via our POP3 server without any difficulties. As such, to use our email service to send emails via an email client, you will need to connect to the Internet using BT Yahoo! Internet.

Connecting to the Internet using BT Yahoo! Internet Services will enable you to send emails via an email client using our outgoing email server.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Oh well - now I knw.

Steve

Hi there I can't believe this thread; I have exactly the same problem as you. Managed to get my Yahoo account working with outlook but not my BT Broadband one. Have spent all day trying to find out what information needs to be added to get rid of the error message "Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message' " After reading all this thread and trying nearly everything I had no luck until your post about common practice for ISP's to lock their SMTP (Outgoing) mail servers to only be accessible by users dialling up to the Internet through them. It sparked a memory about something I had read earlier on today about using someone else's SMTP server i.e. yahoos as BT broadband doesn't let us use there's and can be found here. It don't exactly explain how to do this but after extensive trial and error between yahoo and BT internet accounts all that needs to be changed is as follows;

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): from mail.btinternet.com to smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP) port: from 587 to 465 and SSL being ticked (where 587 is for BTyahoo dialup? and 465 is for yahoo)

The rest should be set to your default settings for bt broadband i.e.;

Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.

E-mail Address: Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address - this is the same as your username, including the "@btinternet.com".

Incoming mail server (POP3): mail.btinternet.com and SSL being unticked

User Name: Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address including the "@btinternet.com".

Password: Enter your BT Yahoo! password.

Click the "More Settings" box and select the "Outgoing Server" tab.

Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".

Note don't check the box next to "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)".

And the bit about emails:

If you would like to keep a copy of your email messages on the BT Yahoo! Mail server, select the "Advanced" tab. Check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server".

Click the "OK" button.

Click the "Next" button on the Email Account Wizard, then click "Finished".

Hope this solves the problem as you have spent alot time and energy on it.

Couldn't have done it without your replie from btyahoo