Connectivity query...

Irene

Without any obvious reason, my pc began to almost stall when trying to connect to web pages.

I used the Windows diagnostics link and it came up with this message, which I didn't understand........

.... There was also a log which I have saved to Word.

Can anyone explain what happened, please? :)

P.S. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am now back to normal.

Are you on a network?

Possibly "just one of those things" which happen occasionally.

Just via a 'Home' network to give access to the internet via the laptop. My desktop pc is hardwired into the router. The laptop wasn't connected at the time.

I find that this sort of thing happens from time to time.
Yes I think it probably does, but it's good to know what was the reason for the 'failure'. Particularly since the Windows diagnostics came up with something. As I said previously, I didn't understand it. I just wondered if anyone else might have an inkling. :)

After taking a look at the logs Irene sent, I assume a corrupt DNS cache is the problem.

I have suggested using the ipconfig /flushdns if it happens again. Perhaps someone else has an idea?

The log basically stated HTTP and HTTPS worked, FTP didnt. It did a repair (/release /renew) and HTTP and HTTPS didnt work, but FTP did, Then quit.

After taking a look at the logs Irene sent, I assume a corrupt DNS cache is the problem.

I have suggested using the ipconfig /flushdns if it happens again. Perhaps someone else has an idea?

The log basically stated HTTP and HTTPS worked, FTP didnt. It did a repair (/release /renew) and HTTP and HTTPS didnt work, but FTP did, Then quit.

Thanks SM...

You know you are my hero. :flowers:

Just had a similar error at my office.

A user was unable to connect to ANY HTTPS website. I found the following command, which has worked perfectly.

Go to Start > Run > cmd >

netsh winsock reset catalog

Note: this will reset your winsock catalog. See here for more information. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

A user was unable to connect to ANY HTTPS website. I found the following command, which has worked perfectly.

Go to Start > Run > cmd >

netsh winsock reset catalog

Note: this will reset your winsock catalog.

I have every confidence in your instruction S.M.

I looked at your link, but I understood your CMD Command much better than the info in the link. ;)

I recieved an IE7 Diagnostic log with the following:

Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset its needed.

warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established

warn HTTPS: Error 12002 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The operation timed out

error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

This was run on XP Pro, with IE7. Please note this will also work for XP Home, and Pro as long as Service Pack 2 is installed. It will also work for IE6.

start > run > cmd > netsh winsock reset catalog

• 2 weeks later...

Im working at one internet provider company as telephone support,and we have problems when cable modem is connected via USB cable to PC.And ussually modem reset help,but is it possible this command will help also?Because they are getting limited or no conectivity all the time...Scarecrow? :)