???What goes on???

-pops-

Last week we had a letter slipped through the door saying that beginning April 2nd the road outside my house would be resurfaced.

April the 2nd arrived and the men duly resurfaced the road, completing the job yesterday afternoon - double quick time. Excellent, I thought.

This morning the gas board arrived with their pneumatic drills and other paraphernalia and began digging the road up.

I spoke to the foreman about what on earth they were doing. His reply was that by digging up a freshly surfaced road, when they come to re-cover it then the patch will show less.

Sensible? I should co-co.

There was supposed to be legislation to stop this kind of farce. If it's anything like other legislation introduced by this lot, we can forget it.

I agree with the first part of this post. I thought all utilities HAD to liaise with the council before any road works were started. The only exceptions being emergency works. Whether those gas people were "emergency" I don't know, but I doubt it from what you say.

Thos.

It wasn't an emergency. They've dug the whole length of the road to lay a yellow plastic pipe to run parallel with the one they laid about five years ago. The road is quite narrow so there are traffic lights controlling the single line of vehicles that can now use the road at any one time. The lights are powered by a diesel generator - guess where that is - about 5 metres away from my bedroom window. :angry: