What has my 2 year old done ?

Hello everybody :D

Recently, my two year old son was lurking around my PC hard drive tower. It only took me a minute before I shooed him away, but not before he did something naughty. I'd love to know what he did but since that day, each time I turn off my PC, it closes down right to the last, blank page, and then it RESTARTS AGAIN !!! all by itself. The only way I can turn it off, is to pull the plugs out at the wall.

I've gone through my Control Panel menu etc but cannot locate any option which might assist me. The Help Menu doesnt assist either. Can anyone out there suggest what button/s he may have pushed that may be causing this to happen ?? I'm certainly no computer expert, just check out my username.

Apart from calling the Super Nanny, I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. I'd love to hear from anyone who may be able to help. :flowers:

Kindest Regards,

Gumby777

Thank both Irene and Alan. I will try your suggestions. Once I've solved this dillema, I will start work on my next project.... "How To Keep Toddlers Away From Your PC Configurations" Further, I will post the results of that project; I'm sure it will be a well-read topic amongst the parents out there. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Leanne

gumby777

:D

I wouldn't say that System Restore is something you have to "resort to". For a lot of people it is the first approach they make when something goes wrong.

Of course, SR doesn't always work and that is why I urge everyone to have an up to date backup of their computer so that when things go awry then you have the confidence that you can put it right again with the minimum of fuss.

Hi again. I tried the System Restore option, but no joy, a message appears telling me it was unable to be be "system restored" but does not state why. Now when I'm attempting to Shut Down, the good old Windows "blue screen of death" appears, with another error message. I think my problem may more to do with a virus perhaps ??? :( rather than whatever my boy did. He's mischievious but not as bad as all that.

I think I'll take the old hard drive for a little drive - to the computer shop. I just thought there have been some easy way for an amateur like me to fix it.

Thanks all just the same, and kind regards,

gumby777 :flowers:

We can often help with the blue screen if we know the message and error code that comes up but, it can involve some complicated fiddling about and if you're not confident about this, it would be best to do as you are doing and taking it to a computer shop.

From what you say, I don't think it's a virus that's causing this. It's most likely some setting that's been changed BUT don't blame your little son too much for this - Windows is very temperamental sometimes and a slight slip of the finger can produce some devastatingly awful consequences.

Please give some serious consideration to making a backup of your system. This way you can normally recover from the most serious software errors within a few minutes.