"Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta" spam

There seems to be a new wave of a spam attack that offers "Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta" for download. Clicking on the link in the spam will attempt to download an executable 'IE7.0.exe' or 'update.exe'. (Actually the 'IE7.0.exe' was distributed in late March; the new 'update.exe' started appearing yesterday.) The spam has a 'From' header saying that it comes from "[email protected]". Needless to say that this is not where it is coming from.

Running the above-mentioned executable will install malware on your computer!

But even if it was not, who wants to install IE7 beta more than half a year after the final release...? My feeling is that this spam is targeting users with pirated versions of Windows, who are unable to download a legitimate version of IE7.

I don't think that any of this forum's regulars would fall for this, but just in case you found one of these in your mailbox and were wondering...

My feeling is that this spam is targeting users with pirated versions of Windows, who are unable to download a legitimate version of IE7.

I don't think that any of this forum's regulars would fall for this, but just in case you found one of these in your mailbox and were wondering...

I wonder if this did originate from MS and is an attempt to catch machines with pirated versions of Windows?

Conspiracy?

Cynical? Moi?

Hi

This is from a friend of mine

A virus is doing the rounds disguised as a test version of Microsoft's current web browser Internet Explorer 7.0.

If you get an email offering a download of IE 7.0 Beta 2, delete it.

and this is what this version looks like, FAKE Download It is not from Microsoft, there is no "beta 2" if you see this delete it.

Virus-1.jpg

The email address that it comes from has been spoofed to look like it's from Microsoft, but of course it isn't. It isn't targeted to people with pirated versions of Windows. I got one! :unsure:

It's just another spam attack to try to get the unwary to download something less than nice to their computer.