Farewell recorded history,

You can't beat having notches on your gun to keep a tally!

The unsophisticated stone age folk recorded their important stuff on rock using antler picks. The Egyptians used metal tools and carved on monuments and tombs. They sent each other notes on clay tablets. Some of these things have survived, as have ancient scrolls and papyri. There are a good number of manuscripts and early books still in existance. Could there be a period of historical missing link looming? The NHS IT debacle suggests it could happen so easily. Ignorance in action is a fearsome thing.

You can't beat having notches on your gun to keep a tally!

The unsophisticated stone age folk recorded their important stuff on rock using antler picks. The Egyptians used metal tools and carved on monuments and tombs. They sent each other notes on clay tablets. Some of these things have survived, as have ancient scrolls and papyri. There are a good number of manuscripts and early books still in existance. Could there be a period of historical missing link looming? The NHS IT debacle suggests it could happen so easily. Ignorance in action is a fearsome thing.

I don't really think that it's feasible to go back to these methods.

You are quite correct. What I was attempting to point out was that as we have become more sophisticated and "advanced" we have much more information. So much so that it has become so plentiful that we are careless with it.

I do not suppose any of the ancients had any intention of leaving "knowledge" for posterity but that is what they did. We can now record all our knowledge as magnetic impulses on bits of plastic(*) and it has all become very ephemeral. The more that man becomes "civilised" the more impermanent his records seem to become.

(*) I can record mine on the back of a postage stamp.

You are quite correct. What I was attempting to point out was that as we have become more sophisticated and "advanced" we have much more information. So much so that it has become so plentiful that we are careless with it.

I do not suppose any of the ancients had any intention of leaving "knowledge" for posterity but that is what they did. We can now record all our knowledge as magnetic impulses on bits of plastic(*) and it has all become very ephemeral. The more that man becomes "civilised" the more impermanent his records seem to become.

(*) I can record mine on the back of a postage stamp.

A large one or a small one?