BBC Player Strains Bandwidth

Chris

The British Broadcasting Corp. is under fire from Internet service providers over how its new multimedia player may cause an increase in demand for bandwidth, placing greater stresses on the infrastructure of ISP's.

It's the latest controversy to erupt over the BBC's iPlayer, an application in a public beta that lets people download and watch programs broadcasted within the last seven days. The iPlayer uses peer-to-peer technology, which allows bits of content to be download from other users, at speeds that enable up to 300M-bytes of data to be downloaded per hour.

A BBC spokeswoman said on Monday the broadcaster is in regular discussions with ISPs regarding the costs of downloading video. In a statement, the BBC pushed the issue back to the ISPs, which it said are responsible for pricing, monthly limits on how much data can be downloaded as well as acceptable use polices for their users.

"Inevitably, some ISP packages will be more suitable than others for the download of large amounts of data," the BBC said in a statement. "All broadband is not equal."

More | Here

not their problem is it, the ISP's should do what is necessary to keep up with it.

The ISPs have neither the will nor the ability to cope with things as they are at present. The only good thing for them, that this BBC thing causes, is the opportunity to put up their prices for the worst service in Europe. Everyone will have to pay more for "increased" bandwidth, need it or not.

I recently got a nicely worded letter from Carphone Whorehouse only a week ago telling me that in order to provide a better service for everyone they would be starting capping/rationing before too long. I suppose it may be better than Ongibongiland where they still use jungle drums..... but I ask you ....reduce the service to make it better.? (Maybe it was their profit they were going to make better?)