Microsoft Releases Windows XP SP3 For Testing

Chris

Enhancements include a network access protection module that borrows from technology used in Windows Vista and improved support for cryptographic algorithms.

In yet another sign that Microsoft(MSFT) isn't planning a retirement party for its Windows XP operating system any time soon, the company has released a new service pack for the Windows Vista predecessor.

Windows XP SP3, build 3205, has been released to beta testers and contains more than one thousand patches and hot fixes, according to bloggers at Neosmart.net. The build is available to beta testers for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1 and has been published in English, German and Japanese language editions.

The enhancements include a simplified activation system, a network access protection module that borrows from technology used in Windows Vista, and improved support for cryptographic algorithms.

The latest major update to the operating system, Windows XP SP2, was released more than three years ago.

Last week, Microsoft introduced a new licensing program designed to let users of fake or pirated copies of the business version of Windows XP upgrade to fully licensed copies.

Under the plan, called "Get Genuine Windows Agreement," software resellers can offer to their business customers a volume licensing contract that will allow them to replace fake or "mislicensed" copies of Windows XP Professional with legitimate versions.

With ongoing support for Windows XP, Microsoft appears to be acknowledging the fact that many businesses are sticking with the OS, despite the widely hyped launch of Windows Vista in January. Last month, Microsoft said it would allow personal computer manufacturers to continue selling Windows XP through June 2008. The company originally planned to stop shipping the software to computer makers on Jan. 30.

Many commercial software buyers have railed against Windows Vista's price and lack of compatibility with existing software, and system requirements that exceed the capabilities of PCs more than a couple of years old.

PC makers have responded to such concerns by continuing to push Windows XP, despite the millions of dollars that their partner in Redmond spent promoting Vista. Dell(Dell), Lenovo, and Hewlett-Packard(HP) have in recent weeks gone as far as offering customers discs that effectively let them "downgrade" their Windows Vista systems to Windows XP.

More | Here

Are Microsoft attempting to reduce XP to the same low level as Vista by introducing this so-called Service Pack? Or am I just an old cynic?

I don't think Microsoft will sneak in Vista as a free service pack, when other users have to pay dearly for their Vista OS.

SP2 has greatly improved XP, and I hope that SP3 will also see some real improvements. (But I have to say that I am perfectly happy with XP-SP2.)

The thing I find suspicious is

borrows from technology used in Windows Vista

Which technologies are not made clear - and they might well be more than are hinted at.

Like you, Pat, I don't have problems with XP SP2 and it always worries me that messing about with things that work perfectly well may do the opposite of what is required. (Another way of putting "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").

(Another way of putting "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").

Microsoft will soon help you to do away with that idea. Many new MS components are currently only available for XP-SP2 (IE7, WMP11, Windows Defender, etc.). This minimum requirement may soon change to XP-SP3.

But let's wait until the thing is officially released, and more details are available. I'm sure I will be one of the first to install it. (After a full backup of my entire system, of course.)

Microsoft will soon help you to do away with that idea. Many new MS components are currently only available for XP-SP2 (IE7, WMP11, Windows Defender, etc.). This minimum requirement may soon change to XP-SP3. But let's wait until the thing is officially released, and more details are available. I'm sure I will be one of the first to install it. (After a full backup of my entire system, of course.)

I'll wait until you report back, Pat. :D

Unless of course, it comes in as an Automatic Update. :unsure:

Microsoft will soon help you to do away with that idea. Many new MS components are currently only available for XP-SP2 (IE7, WMP11, Windows Defender, etc.). This minimum requirement may soon change to XP-SP3. But let's wait until the thing is officially released, and more details are available. I'm sure I will be one of the first to install it. (After a full backup of my entire system, of course.)

I'll wait until you report back, Pat. :D

Unless of course, it comes in as an Automatic Update. :unsure:

DITTO. :D