Thread in backup forum but not in main forum?

don't ask

Very pleased you are back ! :flowers: Mysterious goings on !

Don't know if it is of any interest, but while main forum was down, I added to a thread in the Hardware Troubles section called "Printer problem - Epson", Now main forum is back that thread has disappeared from the main forum but is still on the backup forum !? :blink:

The gremlins are definitely getting to me today ! :lol:

I know nothing at all, but I would expect that the 'Backup Forum' is just a temporary facility with no direct links.

But then, I am not an expert in this field. :)

I would assume that the 'actual' backup is like any other, it is the moment in time when it was taken. It may not of course be the restore from the 'Backup Forum' which was used to re-instate the Forum after the failure.

Different databases I think!!

Indeed it is!

I know nothing at all, but I would expect that the 'Backup Forum' is just a temporary facility with no direct links.

But then, I am not an expert in this field. :)

I would assume that the 'actual' backup is like any other, it is the moment in time when it was taken. It may not of course be the restore from the 'Backup Forum' which was used to re-instate the Forum after the failure.

Just the way it is!

A backup of the database held at windowsforum.org is taken every morning at 03:00 and placed on the backup server (this then requires me to manually import the database to the backup site). I doubt their would ever be a scenario where I would be restoring the database from the backup site back to the main site; this is because restoring a the database would take time over the internet, and I still hold backups on the main server itself ready for restoration.

I knew it was an extra-special forum and so well run - I have always thought it would be taking special cares and measures - that is very evident indeed - very impressive! :flowers:

There will be so much going on in the background that Craig and his smashing staff could write a book, I'll bet :D

Shining example of a forum of its subject and such a comfortable place to come.

:kiss2:

SEO means search engine friendly... Google doesn't like it if it finds duplicated content and tends to drop you down the list a bit.

But I've never found the backup forum in any of my searches so I assume that Craig has a nice .htaccess file in place directing the bots away

Search Engine Optimization.

It doesn't just drop you down the list a bit it can drop you down the list a lot.

easiest way would be using the robots.txt and just don't let google index your site using noindex.

I don't really see the point in having another domain name though, can't you just back everything up and chuck it on a dvd?

Me again :lol: Sorry !

Posted a message in the Vista section last night just after 11pm on a thread I started a few weeks ago - just reporting on how I got round a problem - it is not on the Main Forum - but it is in the Backup Forum!

:rolleyes:

You must have gone there by mistake instead of the main forum. I don't see how there can be any other explanation. :D

Nah - not worth bothering about doug - thanks :flowers:

andsome - honestly I was in the Main Forum - the backup forum link is bookmarked in a separate list from the links I use daily and I very rarely go there - if I do go to backup forum I don't often log in. I don't drink or anything ! :lol:

As an alternative you could post a link in the Forum on this board showing the path to the one in the Backup Forum. Just a thought.

Wouldn’t work, the system has since overwritten the content on the backup forum with data from here!

It was indeed pot luck that the backup forum was available when it was, as I had only just restored it after doing some testing on the server itself. What is usually in place is an initial front page that explains to users that any content published on the backup forum is not replicated across to the main forum at any point; and the data itself will be overwritten at some point in the very near future with data from the main site.

Over the course of the weekend I will update the backup forum so it is clear to everyone what purpose it serves; in addition, I will update the documentation that shows the current back and restoration procedure for everyone to view, and potential scenarios where the backup forum data may actually be used to overwrite the main forum.