Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...d0-e2a72099edb7

Overview

A blocking tool is available for organizations that would like to temporarily prevent installation of Service Pack updates through Windows Update. This tool can be used with:

• Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (valid through March, 2008)
  • Windows XP Service Pack 3 (valid for 12 months following general availability)
  • Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (valid for 12 months following general availability)

OK, what's the point of a Service Pack blocker? Not everybody is ready to install a Service Pack on their system. Pleople on AutoUpdate, with slow dial-up connections, or in companies where an IT department dictates the install of Service Packs.

Installing this toolkit will allow the user to control when and how a service pack is installed. Many users will probably prefer to

a) wait a few days after the release of a Service Pack

b) order it on CD-ROM or DVD from Microsoft, rather than download it over the net

It's a good idea to introduce this. I have known loads of XP installations totally wrecked by injudicious loading of either SP1 or SP2.

Yes, OK, these may have been stuffed with malware which prevented correct installation of the Service Pack or even just one minor bit of spyware but, by the time anyone became aware of this, the install was corrupted beyond repair.

As it is some years since the last Service Pack was issued, it is very likely that those with older computers (like me) could have little bits hidden somewhere, perhaps just remnants of things that have otherwise removed, that could prevent a successful install.

I urge everyone to make a full system backup before attempting to install this Service Pack.

• 3 months later...

Irene, the blocker doesn't affect installation from CD - which is what I'll do (when I eventually decide to use it). I have a lot of machines to update as I'll be doing my son's studio machines as well and I think a disk will be better for multiple installs.

A reminder for those Windows XP users who do not want to install Service Pack 3 right away. This Service Pack Blocker tool kit can block the service pack up to 12 months after its release.

As I keep arguing, if you don't use so-called automatic update you don't have these problems and you are more in control instead of Microsoft. Then you can wait till all the eager beavers have burnt their fingers and install when the glitches have all been fixed. :flowers: