Police Powers Planned For Rail Staff

Guest LB

Can you imagine the chaos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Railway staff could get police powers to deal with crime and anti-social behaviour under plans set out today.

Train staff with Transport Minister Kim Howells

British Transport Police would be able to accredit trained railway employees, including station staff. They would have limited powers to deal immediately with specific offences and public nuisances on the railways by:

Issuing fines for trespassing on a railway, throwing stones at trains, dog fouling, dropping litter and cycling on a footway

Taking the name and address of a person acting in an anti-social way

Enforcing laws on drinking and smoking

Requiring the removal of abandoned vehicles

Transport Minister Kim Howells said:

"We are all aware that the activities of a few inconsiderate people disturb the journeys of many people."

"The new measures that we are proposing today will give people at the front line of our rail services the powers they need to deal swiftly and effectively with crime and antisocial behaviour," said Mr Howells.

"I believe that by training key staff, we can greatly reduce the inconvenience that some people's behaviour causes, and free up some of the valuable resources of the British Transport Police."

bvw, just coz they are collecting all that extra revenue and making all that money for the train companies, and completing extra duties, why on earth should a pay rise be due?????? :angry:

I suppose I have slightly biased views on the police service as I'm all set to join them early next year.

I have a lot of mates in the police and know that in the Greater Manchester area, the police have been instructed NOT to target speeders, unless of course it verges into Dangerous Driving or driving without due care and attention.

They (the police) have an extremely difficult job to do at the best of times, and I know that more often than not they get severely bashed by the General Public. Mainly due to the Morning rags 'Stoking the fire' so to speak. The onetime 'crackdown' on speeders was not nearly as much as the papers hyped it up to be.

Lets not forget that the men and women of the Police Service put there lives on the line for us every single day, that in its self should earn them the respect of every person in the country, regardless of your views about them.

Slightly off topic I know, but it's a subject close to my heart!

Damo

I suppose I have slightly biased views on the police service as I'm all set to join them early next year.

I have a lot of mates in the police and know that in the Greater Manchester area, the police have been instructed NOT to target speeders, unless of course it verges into Dangerous Driving or driving without due care and attention.

They (the police) have an extremely difficult job to do at the best of times, and I know that more often than not they get severely bashed by the General Public. Mainly due to the Morning rags 'Stoking the fire' so to speak. The onetime 'crackdown' on speeders was not nearly as much as the papers hyped it up to be.

Lets not forget that the men and women of the Police Service put there lives on the line for us every single day, that in its self should earn them the respect of every person in the country, regardless of your views about them.

Slightly off topic I know, but it's a subject close to my heart!

Damo

congratulations on your soon to be new employment.....

i totally agree with your comments on the raw deal that our police force get, for the money and the shift work that they put up with they should be commended.

I agree that the Police put their lives on the line each day to protect us. I highly respect them, and you Damo, hope you enjoy the job!

But her in Luton, the police force have an issue with priorities. If you call from your home because it's eing broken into, you get a Panda car round in half an our to take a statement.

However if you nick a car of fosters from the local co-op, as soon as you walk out the door they jump on you.

Happended on so many occasions, that's why people are taking the law into their own hands and thats partly why the area I grow up in, is turning into something reflecting the Bronx.