Another Mac question

As you know by now, I am the guy who knows nothing about Mac.

I have a friend who has a Mac, plus some Windows computers on a small network. He needs a new printer.

When we go to a shop looking for a printer, the shop people usually say "this one is for Mac, that one is for Windows". "Only very expensive printers can handle both Mac and Windows."

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not - anybody knows what's true about such statements?

Next I say, let's get a printer for Windows, share it over the network, and the Mac should be able to access it.

The shop people say "no, no, no, no, no - it doesn't work that way".

Is that true as well - does he really net one printer for the Mac, and one printer for the Windows network? :blink:

OS X has a lot of printer drivers already installed by default (mostly for Epson, HP, Brother, and Xerox), and most HP printers come with drivers for XP and Mac.

I got a cheap $30-40 brother laser printer that works with Mac/PC no problem, so unless thats their idea of really expensive, then they're just using FUD to try and sell you overpriced garbage.

Thats a load of rubbish if you ask me.

"Only very expensive printers can handle both Mac and Windows."

That's like saying only a Porsche will drive on the highway... almost any printer that works for Windows will work for Mac as well. There may be a select few, but the name brands will work just fine.

In these large Japanese electronic stores, most sales people don't know much. Most of the times the consumers do their own research in magazines or Internet, and when they go to the store, they know exactly what they want to buy.

So, stupid consumers like me, asking questions in the store, will most likely end up with stupid answers. I remember when I wanted to buy an external HD a few years back, the sales guy wouldn't sell it to me (foreigner), because he insisted that the HD will only run on Japanese Windows. :blink:

That's why I came here to ask the experts :flowers:

• 2 months later...

First, ask yourself: "do I really need to introduce paper to ink? You have a screen? Use that to introduce your eyes to images. If you think you need to go out and take printed paper with you, try learning that stuff and keeping it in your head, so you can keep your hands empty and free...!"