Registry Scan

Jacob

Hello, I am new here, looks like a great forum!

I have tried installing Winzip on my computer but get Error, 1402 COULD NOT OPEN KEY. What can I do?

Also, I have a programme called UniBlue RegistryBooster2 that says I have 800 + registry errors. This is not a totally free programme and I would like to know if the is such a thing.

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Jacob, welcome to the forum. :D

Most important thing is NOT to do anything in the registry without first backing it up.

You could use ERUNT, which is free.

However, be very cautious about making changes in the registry, unless you know what you are doing.

Are you installing WinZip as an administrator, or as a limited user?

That 1402 error, does it actually mention the key that it couldn't open?

What version of WinZip are you trying to install?

I am installing as a limited user, I think.

UKNOWN\.wzmul\shel\open\command. Varify that you have sufficient access to that key.

Version 11.1

Hello Jacob, welcome to the forum. :D

Most important thing is NOT to do anything in the registry without first backing it up.

You could use ERUNT, which is free.

However, be very cautious about making changes in the registry, unless you know what you are doing.

Thank you!

I don't know what I am doing!

As a limited user, you may really not have full access to all registry keys. Can you try to

• run it as Administrator (right-click; Run-as)
  • or login to the Administrator account, then install it from there?

If this is not an option, you may need to go into the registry and change permissions for this key. However, I do not recommend this to an inexperienced user!

As a limited user, you may really not have full access to all registry keys. Can you try to

• run it as Administrator (right-click; Run-as)
  • or login to the Administrator account, then install it from there?

If this is not an option, you may need to go into the registry and change permissions for this key. However, I do not recommend this to an inexperienced user!

Not able to log in as Administrator. unknown user name and password.

I am not able to remove the programme either, I get error HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\software\classes\WinZip\defaultlcon..

Jacob, Pat Willener, who has been helping you, lives in Tokyo.

It's about 2:30am there (early hours of the morning!), so he will probably be in bed, asleep. :sleep:

I am sure that when he is logs into the forum, he will help if he can.

I understand how anxious you are, but try to be a little bit patient.

In the meantime, maybe someone else will be able to help. :)

Just don't do anything hasty when you don't know what you are doing... you can make the situation much worse. :0

Jacob, Pat Willener, who has been helping you, lives in Tokyo.

It's about 2:30am there (early hours of the morning!), so he will probably be in bed, asleep. :sleep:

I am sure that when he is logs into the forum, he will help if he can.

I understand how anxious you are, but try to be a little bit patient.

In the meantime, maybe someone else will be able to help. :)

Just don't do anything hasty when you don't know what you are doing... you can make the situation much worse. :0

Sure thing.. :flowers:

Thanks, Irene, for holding Jacob's hand while I was sleeping :)

So, let's try to do this. What I would try first, if I were in your situation, is to 'Run As' Administrator, without a password. About 90% of all computers I know have the default Administrator account with a null password.

If that does not work out, we will have to go into the registry. Before we do that, go back to Irene's post where she points to ERUNT - download it, install it, then make a registry backup.

Next, open the Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> type regedit [OK]).

Do a search (F3) for key .wzmul - you should find it at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wzmul

Now click on the boxed + on the left, to expand the subkeys. Do it also for subkeys shell and open - you will last see subkey command. Right-click on it and select Permissions. Check the permissions for your user or user type (RESTRICTED). If it does not have Full Control, check the box for Full Control, then click OK.

Now try the installation again, and let us know how it goes.

Check the permissions for your user or user type (RESTRICTED). If it does not have Full Control, check the box for Full Control, then click OK.

Got stuck here.

I don't see any permissions (RESTRICTED)

The box for Full Control is already checked.

Special Permissions is not checked.

Do I need to add User name Administrator?

Hmm... this looks OK. However, I just remember what you wrote earlier

UKNOWN\.wzmul\shell\open\command. Varify that you have sufficient access to that key.

That 'UNKNOWN' thing may be the cause of the problem. However, I have no idea where this is coming from, or how to fix it.

Have you tried to run the installer 'Run As' Administrator without a password?

For some reason WinZip have made the installation & updating of WinZip 11 very difficult. What some people think is a new install of WinZip 11 is actually an update to it. See here from WinZip themselves. Or you might be trying to update an earlier version of WinZip with the latest update, which will actually only update WinZip 11.

When I had a similar problem I ended up by giving up WinZip 11 as a bad job. So I uninstalled all existing Winzip components and then downloaded WinZip10 (the previous good version); it runs perfectly. Maybe this will help.

For some reason WinZip have made the installation & updating of WinZip 11 very difficult. What some people think is a new install of WinZip 11 is actually an update to it. See here from WinZip themselves. Or you might be trying to update an earlier version of WinZip with the latest update, which will actually only update WinZip 11.

When I had a similar problem I ended up by giving up WinZip 11 as a bad job. So I uninstalled all existing Winzip components and then downloaded WinZip10 (the previous good version); it runs perfectly. Maybe this will help.

Hi

That makes sense. I have tried to uninstall WinZip going through Add and Remove Programmes but get the same error message, is there another way to remove it?

Yes, I tried 'Run As' Administrator without a password.

What happened then...?

I have installed WinZip 11.1 last week (from an account with admin rights); no problem at all.

Sorry.

When Run as current user, I get message: WinZip Self-Extractor header corrupt.

I can not Run as Administrator because I don't have the password.

I don't know how to Log in as Administrator, I tried pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL twice when the welcome screen appears but it did not work.

That sounds like the download file is corrupt; try downloading it again.

So the null password is not accepted? Have you tried to ask the admin or owner of the computer to allow you an admin install of WinZip (if re-downloading doesn't solve the problem) ?

Try this program, http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

When installed go to tools, then find the WinZip entry from the list, highlight it then click run uninstaller.

This program is also good for cleaning your registry.

I tried ccleaner but get Error 1402 HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\software\classes\WinZip\defualtlcon.

I am also having trouble with my printer so I tried to uninstall it, but get: EPSON Printer Driver Setup has encountered problem and needs to close. ??

That sounds like the download file is corrupt; try downloading it again.

So the null password is not accepted? Have you tried to ask the admin or owner of the computer to allow you an admin install of WinZip (if re-downloading doesn't solve the problem) ?

When I try to down load it, I get a Uniblue box message saying that my Computer may have corrupted, unused and possible harmful information in it's registry compromising performance and security.

Null password, meaning nothing, no this is not accepted.

I don't know exactly what you mean by ask the admin or owner of the computer to allow me an admin install of WinZip, I am the owner of the computer?

Sorry.

When I try to down load it, I get a Uniblue box message saying that my Computer may have corrupted, unused and possible harmful information in it's registry compromising performance and security.

I am starting to begin to suspect that you have malware on your computer. Do you have an active firewall, plus up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. When did you run your last scan?

I don't know exactly what you mean by ask the admin or owner of the computer to allow me an admin install of WinZip, I am the owner of the computer?

The owner of the computer; the Administrator; the one that has set up and knows the Administrator password. Have you installed Windows on this computer? If so, what is the Administrator password that you have specified during the installation? (As I wrote earlier, most people just hit Enter, creating a null password. Since the null password does not work for your Administrator user, you must have given a real password. Use this!)